Mitch McConnell's boldfaced lie: The filibuster has "no racial history at all. None."

Originally published at: Mitch McConnell's boldfaced lie: The filibuster has "no racial history at all. None." | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Of course it’s a ridiculous lie, but Republicans like Yertle are reliant on the often wiilful ignorance of their voters.

25 Likes

The marching orders have been given.

Fox News will now repeat this convenient lie ad infinitum.

12 Likes

You have to remember that these are the same people who frequently insist that there was nothing racist about the Confederacy.

33 Likes

Mitch, get the fu#k out’a here, NOW!

tenor-8

13 Likes

It’s a fine example of that manufactured indignity at which the Republican Party excels.

Angrily insisting on what they know to be untrue.

6 Likes

Perhaps we could use this as an opportunity for the GOP to prove it to be true.

1. Pass Voting Rights Act 2.0* in the house that would nullify the states disenfranchisement laws.
  2. When filibustered, call them on it. (Have them explain how their filibuster isn’t inherently racist.)
  3. Nuke the filibuster if GOP doesn’t retreat from their stated platform.

*Voting Rights Act 2.0 should include a provision where the poor would be reimbursed by their state for any costs related to obtaining proper Real_ID documents/passport to prove voter eligibility. This would include any incidental state imposed reparations stopping ex cons from voting.

6 Likes

Just surprised he didn’t say this in black face.

5 Likes

Here’s my tweet on the topic.

10 Likes

The black face is implied.

5 Likes

baldfaced

6 Likes

what a shitbag

3 Likes

There are so many things wrong with the way the United States does government, and the filibuster might be one of the worst.
Attaching riders to bills is another.
Worshipping the Founding Fathers as if they were some all-knowing gods seems to be the key error.

4 Likes

Of course, neither the filibuster nor riders were something that the Founding Fathers came up with.

Then again, that’s the great thing about being a true believer: you can put words in the mouth of your god and then believe them as though they are edicts from on high. Kind of like how “Christians” believe that the Bible forbids abortion and promotes “self-reliance” as the highest good.

4 Likes

Quite right. I may have conflated two things I shouldn’t have with my previous comment, but there is an awful lot of “Well, the Founding Fathers said X, so therefore…” in American politics that other countries don’t really do.

4 Likes

You’re quite right, though. It doesn’t matter if the Founding Fathers actually said it. (Hell, the Founding Fathers could not agree on much of anything; they were hardly monolithic).

What matters is that people believe that the Founding Fathers intended America to be exactly like it is right now, and so they invoke the Founding Fathers as a mythological excuse to keep things the way they are. Just like people who have never even read the Bible invoke it to pass all kinds of laws that have nothing to do with the core teachings of Christianity.

6 Likes

Even if it didn’t, who what? Stepping with your bare feet on lego has no racial history but there are still good reasons not to do it.

And I am not trying (or managing) to be funny, what Mitch does is a well known debate tactic. State something that is not really relevant to the actual problem but is also clearly wrong. When people react the debate will veer off to address this minor issue and might never turn back to anything useful.

If opponents don’t bite try the Gish Gallop which is the same tactic on automatic fire.

5 Likes

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

1 Like

Why is it fuckers like this seem to live forever?
(See also: Murdoch)

5 Likes