Billionaire Beach Villain Vinod Khosla has a thought concerning Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Nice fisking, Mr. Beschizza.

2 Likes

Yes one of the most important facts about life is that money does not make you a good person, and being a good person, working hard, and having great talent do not always make you money. Avarice makes you money though, and once upon a time we called that a sin. Not that people didn’t abuse the fuck out of it then too… but at this point we’ve even lost the pretense of recognizing that. Signal boosting his message isn’t helpful, but putting him up to ridicule honestly does. Most of these rich asshats need to be taken down a peg or two on one level or another. They have the money and the power to do something for or with society but they can’t really do anything helpful because they don’t live in our society… they live in neverland while reality starts to collapse around them.

7 Likes

As the great Daniel Burnham said regarding the Plan of Chicago:

“The Lake front by right belongs to the people,” declared the Plan. “It affords their one great unobstructed view, stretching away to the horizon, where water and clouds seem to meet. . . . Not a foot of its shores should be appropriated by individuals to the exclusion of the people.”

We may have our faults, but the public parks are an emerald necklace that belongs to the people. Urbs in Hortis.

11 Likes

Does anyone care what this asshole thinks?

Yes:

For reference, Y Combinator is the hottest hippest startup incubator in the Valley.

I neither endorse nor condone, merely observe.

1 Like

“Wealth does not imply any particular virtue, nor poverty any particular vice.”

Beautiful! This is cuts right to the heart of it. I hope you wouldn’t object if I use this quote?

7 Likes

ButSeriouslyHeDoesn’tWantToClaimTheBeachJustCutTheAccessThroughHisPropertyWhichHe’sForcedToMaintainAndAcceptLegalLiabilityFor

Okay, that’s out of the way.

4 Likes

This is very unlike me, so I hope I can be excused for skipping the article and all the comments to announce I don’t give half a shit what some billionaire thinks of anything, especially Ms. Ocasio-Cortez.

6 Likes

Not in the least.

2 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re expressing this view or mocking people who do, but it’s definitely bullshit because the normal, non-asshat way of dealing with this is to work with local government to create an official public right-of-way, addressing maintenance and liability concerns in the process.

7 Likes

Trying to find my violin but I don’t own a microscope.

7 Likes

About politics?

4 Likes

And, ironically, they were right to laugh at Columbus. Guy was a loon. He thought, against solid scientific evidence, that the world was much smaller than it is, and that India was located where North America is. It was only the dumbest of luck that he ran into anything.
So sometimes, even when people succeed, it was a fluke and the laughter was warranted because they were still wrong.

17 Likes

Dear Asshole Billionaire, Vinod Khosla:

Fall the fuck back, and stay in your own lane.

Sincerely,

Everyone Who Doesn’t Give a Happy Fuck What You Think.

15 Likes

If you’re a modern Silicon-Valley, startup-gets-bought-by-Google type of rich person, isn’t your monumental payday delivered as capital gains, not subject to a theoretical 70% income tax?

I guess what I’m asking is: what’s he so worried about?

5 Likes

Old Rich white man says something utterly stupid film at 11. The day people will eat the rich seems to be coming sooner and sooner.

2 Likes

Right-wing greedheads are more aware than most about “taking a mile when someone gives an inch”, given how often they indulge in that behaviour themselves (Khosla is a textbook example with his beach access issue).

Over the past 35 years, the Overton Window in the U.S. hasn’t moved a figurative inch to the left. Now it might.

12 Likes

Coming up short on the number of fucks I ought to not give.

3 Likes

Well, not really; considering he was aiming at the Spice Islands, Indonesia etc, and considering how small the gap is between Tierra Del Fuego and Antarctica compared to North and South America, it would have been a miracle if he’d missed everything!
John Cabot, on the other hand, was perfectly aware of the existence of North America when he sailed from Bristol in the Matthew and landed somewhere in Newfoundland.
However, Vikings got there before he did, about 1000 years ago.
Columbus was, indeed, an idiot, quite why Americans celebrate such a loser is completely lost on me.

6 Likes

Isn’t there a way to like, uh, drive a shit ton of jellyfish towards his beach?

Well exactly - it was his dumb luck that anything was there at all. He was aiming for something that didn’t exist (there), but luckily for him there was not only land in his path, but so much land that he couldn’t possibly miss it. That’s spectacular luck.

We’ve created an elaborate popular mythology that is often mistaken for fact, in which not only was he not an idiot, but everyone else in Europe was an idiot, to justify lionizing him. (Specifically: that “everyone” thought the world was flat then, but he knew the world was round, and that’s why he headed West to India. He’s a cool, smart rebel in the story, fighting against stodgy, wrong received wisdom of the old country and succeeding because of it.) A lie I was taught as a child in school, no less. I hope they’re no longer teaching kids that story, but given the state of education… probably.

8 Likes