Billionaire chronicles

Many could very easily be converted to that purpose. Some of the more paranoid owners order their luxury yachts built on research vessel hulls for the durability and go-anywhere capability.

6 Likes

The oligarchs can pay for it as well. A few billion in operating expenses goes a long way when you don’t need as many waiters and housekeepers, because the ship is crewed by volunteers and grad students, most of whom can make their own beds and all of whom can get their own beer from the fridge.

6 Likes

I thought that’s what grad students were for? :wink:

6 Likes
3 Likes
10 Likes

Any boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into, but dang!

8 Likes

I wonder how much it costs to do the environmental preparation work for an artificial reef.

11 Likes

specifically

According to Maltby, the maintenance cost of a yacht usually totals about 15% to 20% of its overall value.

69gst3

I could spend 10% of the yearly yacht maintenance on an actual home and stuff, and have far more than I’d ever know what to do with. (Not that I’d ever have that option.)

7 Likes

ETA:

The rest of this Twitter thread shows the homework.
It’s his.

ETA: got ninja’d by @GagHalfrunt

10 Likes

Credible and entertaining video that also claims as much. Tap cc for English subtitles.

5 Likes

Lemme set up the eye bleach, and nab a unicorn chaser, first.

5 Likes

It’s unlikely to pass. But the discussion is worth having.

“ PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Progressives in the Philadelphia City Council have introduced a tax on the city’s wealthy. Councilmember Kendra Brooks introduced the “Philly Wealth Tax” during a Zoom call Tuesday to combat inequality in the city.

It’s a municipal tax that would tax wealth in stocks and bonds.

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who ran on a presidential campaign to tax the wealthy, tuned in virtually for the announcement.

If approved, the tax could generate $150 to $400 million in revenue every year.

It would also be the first tax of its kind in a major U.S. city.”

10 Likes
14 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes
15 Likes

The widely reported price for tickets – which includes eight days on the outpost, before eventual splashdown in the Atlantic – is $55 million.

8 Likes

Jeff: I can’t find the eggs.
Jeff: Wanna give me a hint?
Elon: No.

9 Likes
8 Likes