“Billionaire” Trump can not post bond, begs for special treatment

A few hours ago his lawyer said they feel they can only post $100 million. Two tiered justice at play here - let’s say you go to court and get a speeding ticket. If you offer 25% of that, should they go “well, sure, that’ll be fine”?

19 Likes

Also from WaPo:

A New York judge on Wednesday rejected a request from former president Donald Trump to delay enforcement of a judgment totaling at least $450 million while he appeals that order. But he did allow Trump’s adult sons to remain in leadership positions atop the Trump Organization for the time being.

Judge Engoron must really have it in for Donald Trump if he’s going to let those two doofuses manage his companies.

27 Likes

“Hi Vlad, it’s Donald. Hey, I was wondering if you could spot me a few hundred million.”
“Collateral? No problem. How about Alaska?”

8 Likes

I’m getting so much mileage out of this reaction:

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

13 Likes

Minor pedantic digression:

Hemmingway. In “The Sun Also Rises” (1926).

source, p 136

17 Likes

Anne Hathaway Laugh GIF by The Hustle Movie

12 Likes

Well, you can’t file bankruptcy to avoid criminal penalties. He’ll just have to sell properties, pay off the creditors, and turn the rest over to the court, and keep repeating that until he runs out of fines to pay or runs out of assets. Given that he’s overvalued the assets, and borrowed far more than they’re worth using them as collateral, he’s ‘underwater’ on his loans, just like all the random people who got screwed when the housing bubble burst a while back. The difference is that he did this to himself, on purpose, so no sympathy.

18 Likes

Back taxes part of the judgment get paid first and foremost. Then after that it’s anyone’s guess. Uncle Sam always has dibs before other creditors.

8 Likes

Gee willikers! Why doesn’t Jared offer daddy-in-lawlessness Donald something from the $2B the Saudis invested in Jared’s firm in exchange for getting Donald’s nod for the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi? I mean, what’s the problem? The dough is only linked to an assassination and the deal is only being investigated by the House Oversight Committee. Bribery and blood money? Okay. But what’s the problem? /s

13 Likes

Putin will let him live; the Orange Cheeto’s worth his seriously understated weight in disruption of American politics, even bankrupt.
It’s going to be fun watching Eric and Junior try to scrape out a living without their father’s businesses and influence to help.

12 Likes

My prediction is that those two useless excrescences will be given well-paid no-show “VP of Business Development” jobs by the Kushners after the “merger”. That kind of pity move for dimwitted in-laws is common with families like that.

14 Likes

So, not just trying the $100M crap, but rapidly trying to move stuff out of New York.

22 Likes

Unfortunately paywalled, but if he is trying to move/hide his business assets after judgement then he is incredibly, mind-bogglingly stupid.

He should realize that at this point he couldn’t find a nickel on the street without the Government’s forensic auditors knowing about it. :woman_facepalming:

19 Likes

Some of the key bits:

More recently, Trump specifically noted that both of those business entities had bank account assets and were located in New York on his April 2023 federal government disclosure forms, which he had to submit as a presidential candidate. However, a subsequent update in August didn’t list addresses for either of them.

It’s unclear when they would have updated their addresses, but any relocation since 2023 would have taken place after the AG sued the Trumps.

also

“Even with the independent monitor that they now tout, defendants have already during this action surreptitiously transferred $40 million from their accounts without disclosing the transfer to the monitor, in violation [of the] supreme court’s orders,” Fan noted.

19 Likes

Though technically it’s also true that if he isn’t trying to move assets, then he is mind-bogglingly stupid. Euther way it’s been an established fact for a while now.

Trump basically handles all his problems by going double-or-nothing until he wins. Except that would have been his coup. Really right now everything he does is stalling in hopes he gets another shot.

16 Likes

Much appreciated. I wasn’t going to bet the farm on the origin of that quote, but I was in the right ballpark.

6 Likes

I’m sure his gold shoe business will make up the difference.

4 Likes

Even smaller pedantic digression:

Hemingway.

4 Likes

True!

My spelling is not great.

3 Likes
12 Likes