Delusional Trump thinks the SCOTUS can give him his buildings back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/20/delusional-trump-thinks-the-scotus-can-give-him-his-buildings-back.html

9 Likes

Well, yeah. If the rethuglicans steal another election, install Trump as king, and he does all the things he’s threatened to do, all real estate, whether it used to belong to Trump or not, will belong to him, along with anything else he can get his pudgy little hands on, and SCOTUS will cheerfully hand it to him, so long as they get to keep their cushy jobs and no one enforces an ethics code on them. At least, until it’s their turn in the barrel.

18 Likes

Oh man I can’t wait to see the tacky fake gold letters of that man’s name removed from the façade of Trump Tower. Maybe the people of NYC will host a block party to celebrate the occasion.

25 Likes

He should check with the Supreme Court. They know a lot of billionaires, and maybe one would lend him the money?

18 Likes

The idea has been around that Trump waded into politics in 2016 as a way to make more money-- grow his “brand” and maybe turn it into some kind of media empire, get kickbacks or “donations” etc.

So the fact that it’s looking like he will have so many of his valuable properties taken away is satisfying in a very Greek mythology or Aesop’s Fables kind of way.

38 Likes

justice thomas could take john oliver’s deal and pitch in to the Trump Fund.

10 Likes

For a former president, he shows a stunning ignorance and disinterest in how government works.

20 Likes

He wants ownership of all the swans in the land.

5 Likes

They should rename it the Obama building, and watch his head explode.

26 Likes

Someone has commented that that NY Post article reads as if it were written by John Barron (Trump’s sock-puppet alter-ego), so everything in it should be taken with a pinch or more of salt.

Apparently if Trump doesn’t post bond, and Tish James starts taking and selling his buildings, she’ll owe him interest if he DOES win on appeal. I don’t honestly know what his chances of appealing successfully are, but I wonder if she might not take his property but not sell it until the appeal is resolved, thus limiting NY’s potential exposure in the event of a reversal.

9 Likes

How bad must he be with money that he did all those things and is still broke?

Also, is Kushner not taking his calls anymore? You would think he could loan him the money without noticing at all. Of course, he probably knows best he would never get it back.

13 Likes

How does that work? It was my understanding that he doesn’t get to appeal if he doesn’t put up the money, and the court maintains control of the money until after the appeal is decided.

10 Likes

He can appeal without posting the bond, but in that instance he doesn’t get to put a hold on the immediate payout of judgement. If he can post the bond, then he doesn’t actually have to pay anything out while the appeal is pending.

10 Likes

He reputedly talked to Roger Ailes about setting up a Trump News channel, which was supposedly his plan B if he lost the election.

4 Likes

They should convert it into housing for the migrants being bussed in from Texas and Florida.

17 Likes

This is from just having listened to Popehat’s podcast today on this, but the consensus there was that New York would not consider the bond paid if they only held real estate, that they would liquidate it (probably at firesale prices), and keep on seizing more assets and liquidating them until they reached the sum he owed.

This is in fact a terrible situation for Trump, because New York would not be trying to get the highest price for each asset – assuming that he has plenty more they can just sell each one for whatever they can get quickly. So Trump might end up paying far more than he might have if he had the time to liquidate them himself under normal circumstances.

I’m not sure where this is from, though maybe it’s true. It’s the first I’ve heard of it though.

14 Likes

Just a point of clarification: Jared is managing a $4B fund; it’s not his. I’m sure he’s making bank in fees and such, but he doesn’t have an extra $4B sitting around he can use to bail out his FIL. This is especially true when his own father is a convicted felon and is leveraged as badly or worse than T****. While the Kushners are often quoted as having a $B+ net worth, Charles keeps losing his shirt on real estate deals, like 666 Fifth Avenue, in which he lost at least $400M.

17 Likes

My source is the same as yours: Popehat.

1 Like

I am of the understanding that several properties have mortgages on them still- how would that work?

4 Likes

Not a lawyer, but I’d assume that the state only takes what is left over once any liens have been paid off (otherwise the bank would be paying for Trump’s crimes.) Given the fraud that was proven in the case, that may mean there is verry little left.

6 Likes