SCOTUS rules Donald Trump financial records must be released to NY DA, but House won't get tax returns before election

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/09/supreme-court-rules-donald-tru.html

18 Likes

Well this shoud be interesting.
Not that 45 being in debt/owing favors to Russian oiligarchs will do anything to sway his followers.

38 Likes

Unfortunately, we’re still in for a long ride on this one.

The arguments presented here and in the Court of Appeals were limited to absolute immunity and heightened need. The Court of Appeals, however, has directed that the case be returned to the District Court, where the President may raise further arguments as appropriate. 941 F. 3d, at
646, n. 19.
We affirm the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

(Emphasis added.)

8 Likes

6 Likes

I think you’re right about not swaying any voters, but I do think this is probably the beginning of the end for the Trump business empire. The money laundering, the inflated assets, all the schemes that built his empire are unlikely to survive exposure to daylight.

44 Likes

I’m confident that USGS data for the D.C. area will document an absolutely monster tantrum taking place in the oval office this morning.

I look forward to Trump doctoring the seismograph traces with a sharpie.

30 Likes

He’s not behind bars yet. I’ll celebrate then. There are a lot of shenanigans to pull between now and Nov.

27 Likes

10 Likes

we got him this time for sure

8 Likes

Small but good win, so a small celebration:

21 Likes

I have a dream.

41 Likes

I’ll take whatever victories I can. A corrupt right-wing authoritarian like Il Douche isn’t going to be brought down by one large strike, but rather by a pile of small ones that eventually (but not inevitably) end up overwhelming him.

32 Likes

Um no, not yet. This is good news, but I’ve heard “we got him this time for sure” so many times now that I won’t believe we got him this time until he’s behind bars.

19 Likes

The details:
Roberts wrote the opinion, joined by Ginsburg, Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor,
Concurring opinions by Gorsuch, joined by Kavanaugh
Dissenting opinions each by Thomas and Alito

8 Likes

Even if he’s voted out of office, I hope the prosecution and investigations continue. They better not give up on all of that.

19 Likes

Not surprised at all by these two.

17 Likes

I do hope someone at the White House is keeping an eye on the good silver in the event Donnie decides to abscond some moonless night for the comfort of Mother Russia’s ample bosom.

22 Likes

fucker gets away with everything. unbelievable.

of course the courts will get his records and in 3-4 years do something with them. We needed this shit in the House NOW.

13 Likes

Are there no true Patriots who would leak these documents?

Nobody?

12 Likes

Kavanaugh was a surprise.

12 Likes