NY appeals court gives Trump 10 days to post $175 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/25/ny-appeals-court-gives-trump-10-days-to-post-175-million.html

13 Likes

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

29 Likes

Angry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

24 Likes

tumblr_oz5zbiX3p61utxqceo1_640.gif

27 Likes

When institutions begin to collapse ALL institutions begin to collapse;
courts are bought,
political maps are gerrymandered,
senate is a rotten distribution,
law schools are controlled by orgs like the Heritage Foundation,
colleges become degree mills,
news orgs are bought up by astoturf companies,
FANG doesn’t pay for journalism and steals content.

19 Likes

pre-trump i might’ve foolishly viewed the shout “We’ve got a two tiered legal system!” with uncertainty. one grimly wonders how they came up with $175 million - did someone whisper to them that that’s how much some foreign bribe has already come to? @#$!

20 Likes

“And special exceptions for some…”

Total BS.

20 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

19 Likes

I get the annoyance here but, honestly, this isn’t quite as good for Trump as it first looks – I haven’t been counting how long he’s been at it, but it’s been impossible as yet for Trump to come up with $450MM – probably because he couldn’t find a buyer for a couple of his properties – but he’s been dragging it out for a while. And courts being what they are, he can drag it out for a while more. He’s got to be reaching out to a lot of people to get the money, but at the same time there’s no doubt in that time he’s been able to say “no” to a few offers to try to keep the value up. The folks making offers on the properties knew that Trump could walk away and for a while (for at least this long anyway) he has and he did. That keeps the price up.

Now, he needs to raise $175MM in ten days. Everyone who might want to buy out Trump (or take a position in) a property or two knows he only has ten days to agree to the price. The value of his properties, given this, just went way, way, way down.

At least from this very cheap seat, I’m not sure this might not end up being worse for him.

5 Likes

Its Fine Ok GIF by ZDF Magazin Royale

20 Likes

Yes, this is good for Trump.

16 Likes

It’s not clear from the reporting I’ve seen what is actually going on here. Has the $450 million been reduced to $175 and he has 10 days to pay it,or is he being allowed more time for the full $450 million if he posts $175 million within 10 days?

8 Likes

who’s the judge allowing this? note is just signed by the clerk.

7 Likes

Will he actually put up this lower amount? That’s the question.

2 Likes

oh, i don’t know. the evidence has always been quite strong

In 2010, then 16-year-old Kalief Browder was arrested for allegedly stealing a backpack. The following day, Browder maintained his innocence, but as his family was unable to pay his $3,000 bail, he was sent to Rikers Island on New York’s East River

allegedly steal a backpack, and can’t pay bail: go to one of the nation’s most notorious and overcrowded prisons ( eta: before your trial. ) steal 1/2 a billion dollars? don’t worry, we can fix that for you.

at this point, it’s simply a cost of business.

30 Likes

He’s expected to. Basically asked for around this.

This is the bond - so instead of having to pay the full amount upfront (which defaults to the state if appeal fails) he only has to put up this portion.

What I don’t understand, and I’ve seen multiple legal people also questioning, is why? What reason other than two-tiered justice should he get this? If I owed 1K and I stood on the court stairs and said I had 1K but told the judge I didn’t, they’d tell me to pack sand and toss me in jail.

30 Likes

This: a thousand times over. on the accusation of a stolen backpack spend 800 days in solitary vs All the crap TFG does and gets to walk around.

The overt and overwhelming injustice of it all.

24 Likes

It looks like rich, well-connected people get special exemptions from facing consequences for their obvious crimes. Are you going to claim it’s not? Because otherwise…well, it’s enraging even if it somehow turns out to be a small present instead of a huge one.

21 Likes

He came up with a $100 million bond already for another case. It definitely helps him.

18 Likes

I followed that case but somehow missed that he killed himself. I had to take a minute after reading that. That poor kid. He deserved so much better.

15 Likes