NY appeals court gives Trump 10 days to post $175 million

He doesn’t have to sell anything. He just has to put up some property or other assets as collateral to get a bond. His lawyers already indicated he’d be able to post a bond of this amount when they were trying to get some more leeway out of the court.

This is exactly as good for Trump as it appears to be.

21 Likes

Stop. Giving. This. Repeated. Fraudster. A. Break.

29 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Preach GIF

20 Likes

I understand the necessity of appeals courts of course, but I fail to understand how it is legally possible for an appeals court to overturn a well-reasoned and transparent judgement on an apparent whim, at the wave of a hand, with no explanation of its own reasoning, or any transparency at all.

Just waiting now for the inevitable favorable appeals decision after Trump appeals the date of the hush-money trial because the judge didn’t give him sufficient deference.

It’s this kind of bullshit that breeds contempt for the US legal system (my own included).

ETA: Ok, I misinterpreted the news. The judgement hasn’t been overturned - it’s just the bond that has been reduced. Still not good, but less bad than I thought.

14 Likes

224 days until the election.

No pressure to effing cripple or lock this asshole up or anything.

13 Likes

I don’t understand how this is worse for him than March 15 when everyone thought he needed to come up with far more money by today. If anything, it gives him and his team more time to pull legal shenanigans.

13 Likes

CBC article said the underwriters wanted 120% of the original amount in liquid assets, no real estate.

5 Likes

to make it less obvious. remember february 28th?

In a court filing Wednesday morning, Robert and Habba proposed that as he awaits his appeal to be heard by a New York appellate court, Trump should be allowed to pay a $100 million bond instead of the $454 million mandated by Engoron

7 Likes

Kevin Oleary is on Fox babbling about this being a victory for property rights. Foreign investors don’t want to invest in America because they’re afraid the government will take their stuff.

Why aren’t billionaires bailing out Trump was the question. They’re not helping because they have their own problems and are afraid the government will take their money and property.

Trump posted this a couple hours ago. He’s just like Jesus.

Received this morning—Beautiful, thank you!

“It’s ironic that Christ walked through His greatest persecution the very week they are trying to steal your property from you. But have you seen this verse…?”

Psalm 109:3–8 (NKJV):

14 Likes

May his days be few, may another take his office!

I don’t know about Psalm 109:3 through 7 but this one does seem like a great quote to have associated with Trump, pretty much whatever office he happens to be in.

7 Likes

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

11 Likes

That we have a two-tiered system of justice in the US is not longer accurate. There are the traditional two tiers, plus a third, extra-special one just for Donald Trump. Geez, this is getting effing old.

18 Likes

People don’t want to invest in corrupt countries because oligarchs/fraudster will cook the books, ala Trump. In a country with laws, this is stopped by having equal justice for all, and fraudsters getting jailed.

8 Likes

From what I’ve been reading, it seems like Trump might really not have been able to get a bond for the full amount. Apparently real-estate holdings are terrible collateral (leaving aside Trump shenanigans about supposed worth), as they fluctuate so much in value. A bond company wouldn’t want to take on the risk without a higher percentage going to them, but they’re legally constrained in that area. Plus, Trump owns very little property, apparently. Not in a “the bank actually owns it” sense, but in the sense that his financial stake often isn’t in outright ownership of land/buildings. He’s got long leases on properties rather than ownership, he’s licensing out his name, etc. - lots of involved means of producing revenue with not a lot of solid collateral involved.

Trump claimed to have a certain amount of liquid assets, and this ruling may just indicate he was lying about that. (Big surprise!) It seems like Trump has engineered his impunity into the very structure of his wealth, avoiding the larger bond because he’s made it impossible to comply with it. (A benefit the less wealthy don’t get, obviously.)

8 Likes

He might have enough, even on top of his other recent posted bond. We don’t know for certain how much cash he has on hand right now, but we know he had around $375 mil in cash in 2022 after selling the DC hotel and Vornado’s refinancing. The real question is whether he’s used any of that to cover his legal expenses since then, or if that’s all been paid for by conning the suckers still sending him cash.

As disappointing as it may be, this likely kills any future where Trump’s properties are seized and auctioned off. If he wins the election, at minimum, he can end the sanctions that are currently preventing Russia from bankrolling him, and if he loses he’ll likely declare bankruptcy… which may result in a forced sale of some properties, but likely on better terms than public auction.

We really do live in the worst timeline.

10 Likes

Yeah - but that hasn’t stopped these goons before. They delay delay with an ask they don’t think they will get, and then when they do, they still don’t do it.

Like the border bill the Republicans wanted and then rejected.

5 Likes

Pay the money within 10 days!
Or we’ll be forced to give you 10 more days!
Indefinitely!

8 Likes

He keeps saying Mar Lago is worth 50 to 100 times more than 18 million.

When is someone going to say okay, whatever you say, and give him a tax bill for the new assessed value?

9 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

Many countries don’t allow non-resident foreigners to own real estate at all, because the idea of a real estate mogul who lives an ocean away pricing locals out of housing in Switzerland or Bejing strikes the people in those places as perverse.

11 Likes