Billy Bragg writes "Rich Men Earning North of a Million" as an antidote to Oliver Anthony's "Rich Men North of Richmond"

Originally published at: Billy Bragg writes "Rich Men Earning North of a Million" as an antidote to Oliver Anthony's "Rich Men North of Richmond" | Boing Boing

12 Likes

26 Likes

20 Likes

That’s my union! Kind of easy when it’s one of the biggest around.

My mum was always a union woman and she passed that on to me.

14 Likes

It starts off that way, anyway, but, this promising working-class anthem unfortunately by the second verse turns into a fat-shaming screed against poor people.

JD Vance, the fascist Senator from Ohio, must have loved that Oliver Anthony song. I’m glad Billy Bragg took the opportunity to show everyone what a real blue collar populist song sounds like.

17 Likes

The message of the song is clear but there must be a better word to use than “earning” to describe how the rich men are obtaining that obscene level of income. Because it sure doesn’t seem to me that most of them have actually earned it.

10 Likes

Fleecing?

10 Likes

Billy Bragg heard that one like it was the bat signal. Knew he had work to do :laughing:

13 Likes

Those who love the redneck song are idiots for imagining that the rich men south of Richmond are one iota less exploitative than those in the north.

12 Likes

Right? Billy Bragg is the hero we need! Have loved him since I was 15!

8 Likes

Pssst! Not sure who to @ in cases like this but the link takes me to: Julia plays Spirits in the Material World by The Police.

Rock on Julia though! That was great.

I think this is the song in the article.

8 Likes

I love it! I couldn’t even make it more than about 30 seconds into Anthony’s song when I sprained a muscle rolling my eyes too hard. This song is much better.

6 Likes

Huh, that’s so very weird. I can pass this along to the powers that be :slight_smile: Thanks!

7 Likes

Guest bloggers not having an @handle (even after they have been contributing here for a long time) is certainly an inconvenience in cases like this. @orenwolf ? (The text link in the article goes to the wrong YouTube video.)

2 Likes

Thanks. But having @JenniferSandlin instead of, or as well as @LowlyWorm2022 would be useful, of course.

2 Likes

I can’t edit my posts once they’re up, but I passed this along to my editor and they are fixing it! Thanks for letting me know!

5 Likes

same over here–way too much QAnon bullshit for me!

3 Likes

I have always loved this mournful and gorgeous song about America’s ruling class:

3 Likes
5 Likes

5, 4, 3, 2, and–

3 Likes