Biosphere's album Substrata is an ambient classic

Originally published at: Biosphere's album Substrata is an ambient classic | Boing Boing

2 Likes

“Shenzou” by Biosphere is another fantastic album. Very chillaxing.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been using Tim Hecker’s “Harmony in Ultraviolet” to fall asleep to in the evenings.

1 Like

His collaborations with Higher Intelligence Agency are really good too

I have a “dedicated ambient ipod” : it only has ambient music, so I can leave it on a dock and immediately play subtle acoustic wallpaper whenever I want. This album is on there, among others, but with ambient music sometimes you hear the same thing over and over before it really hits you.

Definitely. I also really enjoy his Autour de la lune, a more drone-related album.

Ah, I get nostalgic for those MTV Chill Out Zone nights when ambient techno meant random 3d-renders over stock footage. “The Shield”, from his second Biosphere album, Patashnik.

1 Like

I looked at Pitchforks top 100 and recognized some but lots that were doing the rounds when I was buying a bunch of ambient music were not listed. This list from Hyperreal coincides with my peak ambient purchasing period: Recommended Ambient Albums
I didn’t see any FAX record releases in the Pitchfork list. I think most were limited editions when they were first released and are probably had to find now.

2 Likes

FAX stuff is great! Also the entire e:mit label

Oh yeah, I loved the first compilation em:t 0094

1 Like

That’s it I spelled (??) it wrong!

Yes! Substrata is an absolute classic. If you’re reading this comment, and you love Substrata, you owe it to yourself to immediately check out Radio Silence by Between Interval. Also, while he hops between subgenres, pretty much everything by bvdub (especially White Clouds Drift on and on.) seeing Brock live was a formative life experience. Also… while Echospace is practically a genre unto itself, I find most cv313 albums to be sublime.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.