Bipedal robot drummer already better at it than most humans

Originally published at: Bipedal robot drummer already better at it than most humans | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Synth rock – now performed by synthetic rockers.

5 Likes

I see you and raise you a one-legged humanoid robot who can transform into a drum kit.

6 Likes

9 Likes

While it’s true that robots have an advantage here of not having the built in “limb tying” that people have, it also doesn’t take that long to unlearn that, at which point the robot advantage is lost.

If you’ve never played drums, the first challenge a rookie faces is controlling your four limbs independently. Our brains are wired to have pairs of limbs doing the same basic things all the time. There’s a magic moment where you realize you haven’t thought about your right foot for two minutes but it keep playing the bass line on its own. Getting to that point of being able to “farm out” tasks to a foot or your left hand so you can focus on the interesting parts is the first big hurdle and it’s really cool when it happens. You feel like a superhero. Then you watch a Gee Anzalone video and are reminded you are but mold on his shoe.

20 Likes

The engineering team’s next task is to program the robot drummer to steal your girlfriend.

9 Likes

Where do I pour in the vomit (not necessarily it’s own)?

2 Likes

Oh, and “Bipedal Robot Drummer”; band name!

3 Likes

I still prefer Aphex Twin’s / Chris Cunningham’s “Monkey Drummer”. :grimacing:

5 Likes

I feel a competition coming on.

… drive a rolls royce into a swimming pool
… throw a TV set out of a hotel window

Your turn.

8 Likes

Spinal Tap would probably love to be able to have a few spares.

2 Likes

Will be more difficult to argue against the concept after its fully armed.

I’m sure that the challenge of this is getting a general-use bipedal robot to do specialized, complex human-centric tasks.

But it’s worth pointing out that purpose-built robots have been able to drum for a while, and are pretty awesome.

3 Likes

This explains why I can’t wrap my head around the drums even a little bit. It’s one of the few instruments I haven’t even been able to fake it with.

1 Like

Came here to say this. And by the way they’re playing a way better MIDI base.

Clearly the folks that programmed this bot have never actually played drums. Seems a “bug” they might wanna swat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.