Bird asks for a drink

I live in Austin and there are thousands of grackles that roost in my neighborhood. Certainly looks like a female.

1 Like

It’s not a good picture/video, but it looks like a jackdaw. They look the right size to be one but I can’t see the head well enough to tell for certain.

I’m sorry, but the power of copy pasta forces me to…

Here’s the thing. You said a "jackdaw is a crow."
Is it in the same family? Yes. No one’s arguing that.
As someone who is a scientist who studies crows, I am telling you, specifically, in science, no one calls jackdaws crows. If you want to be “specific” like you said, then you shouldn’t either. They’re not the same thing.
If you’re saying “crow family” you’re referring to the taxonomic grouping of Corvidae, which includes things from nutcrackers to blue jays to ravens.
So your reasoning for calling a jackdaw a crow is because random people “call the black ones crows?” Let’s get grackles and blackbirds in there, then, too.
Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It’s not one or the other, that’s not how taxonomy works. They’re both. A jackdaw is a jackdaw and a member of the crow family. But that’s not what you said. You said a jackdaw is a crow, which is not true unless you’re okay with calling all members of the crow family crows, which means you’d call blue jays, ravens, and other birds crows, too. Which you said you don’t.
It’s okay to just admit you’re wrong, you know?

1 Like

I don’t know if you were replying to me, but I don’t call jackdaws crows. I have told people they are corvids or part of the crow family when comparing them to the carrion crows, rooks and magpies that are also common around here. I have also used jays as an example when people think that all corvids are black.

The RSPB does call the whole family crows though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.