Birtherism for everyone: Kansas woman told birth certificate can't be used for passport renewal

Yep. Right down to the empty “politeness”.

11 Likes

I know you’re not.

I honestly don’t think anyone here was.

It seems to me that’s some sort of psychological projection happening there… that person seems to be responding to a conversation that no one else here is having.

O_O

Again, the cause for concern is that official legal documentation wasn’t deemed sufficient, and the solution offered was to “go get your family bible.”

11 Likes

There’s no need to raise your voice. He’s right here, trying to have a civil conversation about your statement. Are you unable to back up your statements with further sources? Or are you simply unwilling to have a reasoned discussion? [*]

16 Likes

17 Likes

Woah up, there’s no need to raise YOUR voice. He’s right here, trying to have…

5 Likes

Agreed. I noticed the pivot too.

1. We said this person’s valid ID was disregarded.
  2. Then they ran into to the room and yelled don’t disregard MY ID.

But whatever their intent be it genuine or just a trolley trying to derail, I don’t mind clarifying my intent. [shrug]

Edited to add: it’s almost like the park lady.

Lady: “Stop hitting me with your car”
Driver: “My park break is on. Please move…”

9 Likes

My wife was doing some family research on her maternal grandparents who originated from the El Paso/Juarez area. It was always assumed that her grandfather was born in Mexico and was brought to the US as a child sometime in the 1920’s or 30’s so that he could become an American citizen. Recently she came across some original paperwork which showed he was actually born in the US in a El Paso hospital, but that his parents then registered a certificate of live birth in Mexico shortly after.

Apparently, it was common for parents living in US border towns at this time to do this so that their children would have necessary paperwork (birth certificate) so they could travel back and forth across the border more easily. It had nothing to do with the whole “anchor baby” myth. Concerns about illegal immigration from Mexico wasn’t even a ‘thing’ until around 30 years ago when Reagan granted amnesty to millions of Mexican workers living in the US.

13 Likes

6 Likes

I am very perturbed by people who don’t seem to be living in the same ‘baseline reality’ as most of us.
(Nobody mention 45, please; I am already well aware.)

SMH

8 Likes

I think the apt statement again is THIS.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Citizens who were born in America are having their passports denied and being deported.
Now this.
Pretty soon Jews, Muslims, Mexicans, and people who oppose Trump will have their passports invalidated and their citizenship cancelled. It’s almost 1935.

12 Likes

Xtian for sure:

Apparently a fantasy novel is more trusted than a duly certified birth certificate.

5 Likes

Now that I think about it the Right has been pushing hard to get rid of the 14th Amendment. When they do, and they are one or two State Legislatures away from a Constitutional Convention, look for whole classes of people to lose their citizenship retroactively starting with Natives, Black people, and basically anyone who isn’t White. Think that’s farfetched? You have haven’t been listening to what the Right has been saying for twenty or thirty years.

7 Likes

How about if my birth was documented on a Johnny Cash album sleeve?

11 Likes

That’s their dream, to return us to the days of official segregation. For the moment the usual suspects in movement conservatism are seriously pushing for a new Article V Constitutional Convention to, among other bad-news changes, repeal the 17th:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/us/inside-the-conservative-push-for-states-to-amend-the-constitution.html

Here’s their wish list (bearing in mind that they expect to use every last one to either cement or enhance conservative and corporate power and Libertarian economic philosophy):

1. Impose Congressional term limits
  2. Repeal the Seventeenth Amendment, returning the election of Senators to state legislatures;
  3. Impose term limits for Supreme Court Justices and restrict judicial review;
  4. Require a balanced budget and limit federal spending and taxation;
  5. Define a deadline to file taxes (one day before the next federal election);
  6. Subject federal departments and bureaucratic regulations to periodic reauthorization and review;
  7. Create a more specific definition of the Commerce Clause;
  8. Limit eminent domain powers;
  9. Allow states to more easily amend the Constitution by bypassing Congress;
  10. Create a process where two-thirds of the states can nullify federal laws;
  11. Require photo ID to vote and limit early voting.

[via Nancy Maclean – this really deserves a boing FPP of its own]

6 Likes

I got that when NJ switched to its new security around driver’s license renewal. I was told by some schmoe behind the counter that the document which for 50 years had been my “birth certificate” was not my birth certificate, leading me to have to order a “replacement” certificate from NY State to the tune of $50.

9 Likes

That would be awesome.

11 Likes

$12.00 on ebay and I got me a gen-u-ine family bible. I’ve got a fountain pen upstairs, gimme a few minutes and… there! Here’s my unassailable proof of birthright. And just to head off where you’re about to go; do you REALLY think that the passport office is going to do gas chromotagraphy to validate the ink age? Remember, they’d have to distroy a piece of this official (and sez you, sacred) document to prove the age.

10 Likes

Is this story a news report, or is it a spoiler for season 3 of Handmaid’s Tale?

7 Likes