Birtherism for everyone: Kansas woman told birth certificate can't be used for passport renewal

Thank you for the kindness, I’ve had a hard day.

It seems odd to me, too! I wonder if the person who turned that away would’ve found some equally absurd pretext to turn away any other documents offered, as well.

I don’t know, honestly. I can tell you a little about my family’s circumstances and maybe that will help? Upon the death of my grandmother in the 1970s, my mother’s oldest sister became the keeper of the original family bible that is so old it is extremely fragile. There are several other family bibles that have been created in the intervening years that have all or part of the family lineage copied into them, and a cousin has one that has both my mother’s family and the family lineage of one of my uncles, copied from his family’s ancient bible. The newest ones I’m aware of were copied out sometime in the late 50s or early 60s.

I, my mother, each of her siblings, and (at least in theory) each of my siblings and cousins, have xerox copies of the original family bible pages, and some subset of that lineage must have been entered into ancestry.com, since it identified me by genome and pulled up (accurate!) stuff concerning ancestors of mine who’ve been dead long enough that nobody has their DNA. I know for a fact that when my mother went through the extremely tedious and lengthy process of obtaining a passport (prior to 9-11, I must note) the xerox was accepted at face value, she did not actually have to produce the bible. I hope that in the many months she awaited approval, some sort of validation happened.

In my opinion, it would be much easier to print out a fake birth certificate, or just buy one, than to create a fake xerox. But I am not a professional forger!

Same here. I was born in a small town doctor’s office (which was not part of a hospital). Don’t know if that will count as an appropriate “institution” or not.

3 Likes

I thought the Republican covered Xtian and straight (or at least closeted or self-loathing) and we wouldn’t want Meghan Kelly and the other Republican women to get upset, so male can be waived as long as you vote the right way.

Not anymore:

12 Likes

I have a copy of Dr. Seuss’ “Seven Lady Godivas” with an inscription documenting my descent from the actual Lady Godiva… think they’d take that? If not, maybe I can get added to the British line of succession.

11 Likes

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/626773440/u-s-army-is-discharging-immigrant-recruits-who-were-promised-citizenship

8 Likes

Color me jealous!

6 Likes

Lemme guess, you have a bit more melanin than “lily white”?

One of my college friends (who is a US citizen by birth, but ethnically pakistani, and a sikh by choice) gets “randomly searched” at pretty much every airport.

4 Likes

Hmm, I guess my Buddhist ass is going to have to get a “family bible” (even though my family has been in what would eventually be the united states long before it had 50 states).

It’s fun to explain to racist a-holes that my mother was born in a territory before it became the state of Hawaii, and her mother before her…

12 Likes

Something tells me the Oregon DMV would not accept it in lieu of an official document

6 Likes

It’s probably not paranoia to decide to wait until the next, hopefully less regressive, administration is in office prior to applying for a passport for the hubby.

5 Likes

We’ve been planning an Alaska cruise for next year. I guess one with Canada stops is out :confused:

5 Likes

My kid was born at home. The doctor verified the birth the next day. Already gotten the kids passport renewed once. My other kid was born in a hospital and the birth certs are slightly different. I feel like I should worry.

3 Likes

Its always interesting when I tell people I’m not an immigrant at all and they look so confused. We’ve lived in the US since our part was France, about 300ish years ago and of course the people that were already there then also.

2 Likes

Only the “right” kind of Christian, natch.

1 Like

Nah, he was a druggie weirdo. Scrawled in sharpie on a Billy Ray Cyrus CD? Well, okay then.

2 Likes

I’m sure there are many good reasons for your feelings about Kansas but in this case, the local office (i.e. the one in Kansas) said the application was fine.

It was the office in Texas that said the birth certificate was not good enough.

5 Likes

Hari Seldon, where are you when you’re most needed?

4 Likes

Nice ‘Keep Calm’ message. This one might be more suited to the current mood?
keep%20calm%20-%20no

4 Likes

Let’s just be perfectly clear here, in case some innocents get traumatised by where that thought might lead: “Seven Lady Godivas” was never published in an edition purporting to be a colouring book.

4 Likes