Bismuth art

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/24/bismuth-art.html

6 Likes

Yes, but what about big bismuth?

13 Likes

To bismuth or not to bismuth.

6 Likes

Bi is cool in that it floats on its own liquid, like ice, plutonium and a few other elements I don’t recall at the moment.
I think that the liquid phase is so strange near the fusion point is very much related to the interesting crystal growth we see.

5 Likes

OK - so - i got the stuff to try to make a bismuth geode with the kiddo. I watched a few videos and got all the gear to make a small one. I got only about 2.5 lbs of bismuth, but i think it will do what we need it to do. I just haven’t put aside the time to set it all up and do it. Haven’t messed with molten metal in awhile.

Wish us luck!

She does already have a couple chunks of the crystals from rock shows.

9 Likes

Tell us how it goes.

Also every time I have seen someone doing the bismuth crystal thing I wonder about how the crystals deal with a humid atmosphere. However I never look it up. I really have no idea if bismuth and water react at all.

1 Like

I don’t think the humidity in the air matters. I do know the colors depend on the temperature of the metal when it oxidizes.

I did talk to another person who has done it, and they said the slower you can let it cool, the better the crystal growth. I might get some bricks to make sort of kiln for it to more slowly cool. Worst case I think we will end up with some small crystals we can say we made, and a smaller ingot of bismuth for a paper weight.

It only takes one mold ‘blow out’ to remind you to always wear safety glasses

1 Like

The colors are from oxidation afterwards.

Bi supercools pretty dramatically, again due to its strangeness in the liquid phase. You might want to somehow hold a seed crystal to the bottom of whatever vessel you’re using so that things proceed predictably. And yes, slower is better.

sophiscated_cat_phixr

5 Likes

Yes, yes. So should I.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.