Cool crystalline ceramic mugs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/07/cool-crystalline-ceramic-mugs.html

4 Likes

There are some glazes, tricky to work with, that require careful temperature control and long cooling periods, but they produce elaborate crystalline patterns on the pottery. I was kind of hoping for that.

Bottle with Gold Stuff Glazem fired in oxidation, then refired to 1500 degrees F and reduced until the kiln cooled to 1250, by Diane Creber. Image from Ceramic Arts Network Daily.

8 Likes

These look dangerous to drink from.

3 Likes

Crystal pepsi would be the obvious drink of choice for these mugs!

5 Likes

Supercooled water

7 Likes

That last mug with the blue…

The prices over on Etsy though. These are works of art and I don’t begrudge the cost. But if I bought a $120 mug to use as a mug, guaranteed it would be broken with in a few weeks. My free swag mugs from work? I can’t break those if I try.

5 Likes

made for easy cleanup.

2 Likes

Can I get this one in a left-handed version?

3 Likes

Years ago my mom sent me a photograph of what she’d discovered in her freezer…an ice cube with a small upturned finger of ice poking out of it. An effect of supercooling!

2 Likes

My first thought.
As I often sip my tee or coffee somewhat absent-minded while working on something, these cups look like “oh no, not another afternoon at the ER_ , again” to me.

2 Likes

One good feature is that one could hang some mini chocolate donuts on the spiky bits.

2 Likes

Great. That would mean blood and chocolate on my shirts, then.

1 Like

I laughed at that way harder than I should have

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.