Kitchen knife made from lump of bismuth

Originally published at: Kitchen knife made from lump of bismuth | Boing Boing

4 Likes

All that work and they just melt it back down after!? Coulda sold that as merch/premium/art even if it’s totally unusable.

4 Likes

Kind of an older video but it’s still a goodie :slight_smile: NileRed tried to recreate it on his other channel and really had a hard time nailing down the process, which goes to show how patient and talented Kiwami is at making knives out of random things.

5 Likes

Perfect for untraceable murder weapons, though. Almost as good as a frozen leg of lamb.

14 Likes

Especially if you’re looking to take down Superian. It’s his one weakness!

5 Likes

This is definitely going to be used to kill an anime villain.

1 Like

nice art deco-ey crystals but overall this video brought to mind this:

1 Like

I still need to do our bismuth crystal making exercise with the kiddo. Hopefully this summer

1 Like

Seems to me bismuth is soft, like lead, and would make a really lousy knife.

But as an art project it shines.

1 Like

hmm… bismuth particles in the air, bismuth bits in the food, bismuth in small punctures in the skin … and there’s Bismuth (atomic number 83) in the same period with Arsenic …no worries? well, semi-surprisingly it’s associated with a lot of "not known"s

Bismuthia is a rare dermatological condition that results from the prolonged use of bismuth. …Usually, bismuth produces a black line, due to bismuth sulfide, along the gums, near the teeth, similar to the Burton’s line which can be found in lead poisoning. This is not likely to occur if the gum is edentulous or the gum and the teeth normal. It is more common when gingivitis and carious teeth are present. Bismuth excess may cause stomatitis. On even rarer occasions, bismuth has been reported to cause pigmentation of the vagina and cervix.

1 Like

All this worrying about Bismuth in the food has me worried, and is giving me indigestion.

I should go take some Pepto Bismol…

( Oral toxicity of bismuth in rat: single and 28-day repeated administration studies - PubMed (nih.gov))

1 Like

I love his ASMR-like presentation and sense of humor. No words, just little jokes that anyone can understand. Oh, and yes, the patience involved, almost for the sake of doing something the long way… well it’s nice when someone else is doing it, and it’s fast forwarded…

Buyer: “Bismuth be my lucky day!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.