Bizarre health fads: a roundup of the top 10 strangest fake medicines

The author’s name “Omerta Hickey” clues me in that it must be Liartown USA to blame (and also the style of humor is a dead giveaway.)

5 Likes
10 Likes

The late great James Randi takes 6 1/2 days worth of homeopathic sleeping pills in one go.

9 Likes

Vagina steaming didn’t make the list?

ETA: Oh, and let’s not forget ball tanning a la Tucker Carlson.

6 Likes

Are mayonnaise baths a thing yet? Cause I got a shit ton of mayo I gotta get rid of before it expires.

10 Likes

Just make sure you don’t overdose on urinating, since that can cause dehydration.

And this is a serious reply. My local skeptics group ran a group overdose of homeopathic remedies as a publicity stunt. The doctor who organised the event made a point of saying: Don’t try this sort of stunt without first having a doctor check out the pills being used. Apparently the binding agents used in making some pills can have negative effects if you down 10 pills at once.

7 Likes

Plus you can’t be sure exactly what’s in it. IIRC, there was some zinc toxicity from some homeopathic meds that weren’t so homeopathic.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely correct, but also, keep in mind that fecal transplants are a thing (and IMO very underutilized). I can easily see how a lot of people get sucked into believing in nonsense, by not being able to distinguish it from the stranger parts of reality.

1 Like

I don’t know. I could see getting really into colloidal silver if I wanted to cosplay as a Svirfneblin for the rest of my life.
Svirfneblin:

Argyria:
argyria-paul-karason-2891620220

8 Likes

A cautionary tale from the mutt -

A friend bequeathed me this after their doggo left for the farm-in-the-sky a few years ago:

I used it exactly once.

Turned the dog and the background blue. Dreadful stuff.

13 Likes

Strong stuff! :joy:

8 Likes

Even without the unintended byproduct of their quack process, alkaline water is useless.

9 Likes

Count me as one, though my collection has absolutely nothing to do with chakras/healing and everything to do with physics/geology (plus i just think they’re neat)

10 Likes

Well, mine happen to contain the imprints of long-dead critters, but yes, neat! :grin:

8 Likes

It sounds like you need to both open a TikTok account and to alert your bank that they’re going to need to open an extra vault for all your wellness income!

7 Likes

What’s wrong with neti pots?

2 Likes

What to know about another dangerous amoeba linked to neti pots and nasal rinsing | PBS NewsHour.

10 Likes

Not sure this is in the same league, though, as all the other woo. The instructions specifically say to use boiled or distilled water. My tap water is great, but the thought of running it through my sinuses is a big uh-uh.

(Anyway, I know the real answer here is the 15-seconds-and-out Shutterstock search for “Alternative Medicine”)

Big dump energy

2 Likes

Oh! Oh!

Echinacea
Glucosamine chondroitin
Extracts (blueberry, pomegranate, etc.)
Creatine
Sawtooth palmetto
Nettle tea

2 Likes