Bizarre health fads: a roundup of the top 10 strangest fake medicines

Apparently sometimes theirs do too. I have found orthoceratids, a group of cephalopods from before their shells were coiled, in a new age store.

4 Likes

Why is there a netipot in the photo? Are those lame too?

2 Likes

Eh, echinacea and elderberry are pretty standard parts of my formulary. They have science behind their effects (along with St. John’s wort, valerian and a few others.) The catch with all herbals is that there is no way to standardize them. The concentration of active ingredients varies dramatically from plant to plant. Add to that the lack of regulation, leading to no requirement for the bottle to actually contain any of the stuff on the label, and you have a recipe for way inconsistent response. I grow my own for my own usage and get pretty predictable effects from them. But yeah, herbals, when they are reliably sourced, are just medicines that haven’t been domesticated yet. :grin:

12 Likes

Love this so much. Am stealing this quote!

5 Likes

I’m trying to convince my wife that our dog doesn’t need a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, because there isn’t any good science to back it up. But the vet said Dasuquin is a good product, and all her dog-sitting clients have a bag of it, so it must do something! Yeah, it makes money for the people making it. And not much else. Like almost all supplements.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.