Black Lives Matter. Still

It feels weird to say ‘I can’t wait to read this’, but I’ve been a fan of Wright’s since I first read him in the '70’s, so it’s wonderful to know this novel is finally going to be released complete, instead of edited down (as it was in his lifetime) to protect delicate sympathies:

14 Likes

Oh, I’m looking forward to that, too.

8 Likes
15 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

18 Likes

Follow-up:

14 Likes

It is looking more likely she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time but given how firearms are not readily accessible in this country it’s easy to jump to the conclusion she was targeted given who she is. Unless it was one of them home made jobs that was used on Jo Cox.

2 Likes

This is a truly nauseating story, made worse by the fact that I don’t find a single bit of it unlikely. The dehumanizing of Black folks, and especially Black women, is a mark of shame on our society that will mark us for generations.

14 Likes

Already has.

11 Likes
11 Likes

Someone please tell me this was an intentional effort to make a point, even if poorly executed. Because the other option is just too horrible.

It is “an enormous contradiction,” he wrote — “a campaign that launches stamps with a different value depending on the color in order to show the equal value of our lives. The message is an absolute disaster.”

OK, well, there is at least this.

14 Likes
13 Likes

The local story included this line:

Sgt. Ken Camallo wrote in his police report that he conducted “an investigatory stop … based on suspicious driving in a high crime area.”

What sort of bullshit is that. Living in a “high crime area” is not grounds to pull someone over

14 Likes

I get the feeling that it’s still all too common. People outside of the organization are pointing out the problem, but lack of diversity in positions of power in groups like SOS Racismo is how the bad decision-making begins. Instead of correcting that problem, they double down on something that 9 out of 10 POC* would’ve told them was a disaster in the making.

*Having a Candace Owens or David Clarke fan on the committee won’t help.

16 Likes
5 Likes

I see here that you have a CRIMINAL ADDRESS on your driver’s license :policeman:

13 Likes

I get the feeling that the Karen in this scenario probably hasn’t used public transportation since the invention of the cell phone…

16 Likes

WTAF?!? This sucks. The fact that the police came, and issued a fine, is further evidence that the cops can safely be defunded.
I would love to see a spoof of those fear-mongering ads of people calling 911 and getting no answer, but juxtaposed to this scenario. Would put reality in context.

9 Likes

A good compilation of all the OTHER events like the Tulsa Massacre that were happening around the same time:

14 Likes

And even further back:

14 Likes

I see that the defense in this case pulled tactics from a familiar playbook. Glad it didn’t work:

13 Likes