Black Lives Matter. Still

A lifetime of experience in Chicago has shown me that if you don’t mention the race of the criminal when calling 911, they will push you until you answer, and if your answer is ‘white’, the police will not show up. If you lie and say something else, as soon as they discover it’s a white person, they will leave.

15 Likes

yikes is all i can say. that’s awful, and… not entirely unexpected. ( which is even more awful i guess. )

9 Likes

This is every kind of awful

Video Shows Troopers Punching Black Man During Fatal Arrest : NPR

Exactly what caused Greene’s death remains unclear. Union Parish Coroner Renee Smith told AP last year his death was ruled accidental and attributed to cardiac arrest. Smith, who was not in office when that determination was made, said her office’s file on Greene attributed his death to a car crash and made no mention of a struggle with State Police.

The AP last year also obtained a medical report showing an emergency room doctor noted Greene arrived dead at the hospital, bruised and bloodied with two stun-gun prongs in his back. That led the doctor to question troopers’ initial account that Greene had “died on impact” after crashing into a tree.

“Does not add up,” the doctor wrote.

And yet the official line was “It’s all good. Tragic but necessary.” Fuck them all.
BTW, I have to worry about the outcome for the doc who dared to question the official line.

12 Likes

The doc privately questioned the cause of death, but didn’t say anything publicly when the state police lied and covered up the murder (with help from the coroner). So I assume he’s still cool with them.

As has been discussed upthread, the original line 2 years ago was the BS about Ronald Greene dieing from a car crash into a tree (which he sideswiped). Then after the family recieved a badly beaten body and called bullshit on the crashing into a tree story, LSP amended their report to mention that he initially survived the crash and there was “a struggle” when he was arrested, but still claimed the crash is what killed him. At that point there was no media attention.

Over a year later only because someone leaked to the AP a recording of one of the oficers saying they “beat the ever-living fuck out of him”, the FBI started an investigation. This prompted the horrible phrase of LSP cops describing the murder as “awful but lawful” (and the resigning of LSP superintendent). Months later we learned that at least 6 officers were involved, there was multiple bodycam videos of the whole thing from the start, and the LSP brass covered up that they murdered him.

The same LSP station has had 4 officers arrested in the past 6 months for beating Black motorists in 3 other incidents since Ronald Greene (at least one was one of Greene’s killers). The governor (whose father was a sherriff and whose brothers are a sherriff and a police chief) has repeatedly made terrible copaganda statements supporting the LSP and I don’t think he’d go against the police no matter what, but did replace the superintendent of LSP with a Black officer, and its under the new superintendent that charges have been filed against officers so I’ll try to be hopeful. Most likely the only way Greene’s murder doesn’t get swept back under the rug is if public attention continues and the officers face federal charges

So thank you to those not from La. for the continued attention and special thanks to whoever leaked the audio recording last fall which is the only reason there is any hope of accountability for Ronald Greene’s murder.

14 Likes
15 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

13 Likes
11 Likes

In 2019, just 36% of Americans called police violence an extremely or very serious problem. After Floyd was killed, that number increased to 48%, and 45% say so now. About 6 in 10 say police are more likely to use deadly force against a Black person than against a white person.

At 77%, the overwhelming majority of Black Americans say police violence is a very serious problem, compared with 36% of white Americans. Among white Americans, the percentage saying police violence is not a serious problem increased from 26% last June to 36% now; that’s roughly the same percentage who said so in 2019, before Floyd’s killing.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Hope she pulls through. They don’t suspect it’s a targeted attack at the moment but I wouldn’t be surprised.

15 Likes
12 Likes

Baby steps, I guess…

13 Likes

Are they looking for suggestions about where to relocate those flags?

campfire GIF

16 Likes

Lets Go Comedy GIF by CBC

11 Likes

This is pretty cool.
Not paywalled if you “haven’t used up your 3 articles per month limit.”

11 Likes
13 Likes

More on how the pendulum is swinging back…

11 Likes

:green_heart:

11 Likes

a commenter on that article linked to this depressing image ( from here, i think )

i’m suspecting that the jan 6th attack might have helped push some people back to being pro law enforcement. but also, there’s just the continual push by right wing media to demonize things like blm, critical race theory, and on. :confused:

12 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing that graph fleshed out with a few more data points. A bit more fidelity and a longer span would be good.

Not attacking the subject, just the inadequate graph.

9 Likes