Black Lives Matter. Still

You have to respect other people’s property and their political views as well.

Nah. Fuck that. Ever since January 6 I stopped believing that these people respect anyone’s property. And ripping a lawn sign out of the ground isn’t exactly taking a massive crap in the halls of the Capitol.

And only in the US is “I hate Black people” a political statement.

19 Likes

tenor

22 Likes
17 Likes

FB_IMG_1631228532940

On this day, 9 September 1739, the Stono rebellion began in South Carolina, the largest uprising of enslaved people in the mainland British colonies. A literate enslaved man named Jemmy (or Cato) marched with 22 others, mostly from central Africa, brandishing a banner bedecked with the word “Liberty!” and attacked a store seizing weapons and ammunition. They planned to head to Florida, where Spanish colonial authorities offered escaped enslaved people freedom in an effort to undermine British rule. On their way they burned plantations, freed other enslaved people and killed whites, until a well armed mounted militia arrived and attacked. While the rebels managed to kill 23 militiamen, they lost 47 of their number who had their severed heads displayed on stakes to serve as a warning to others. Many of those who escaped were later captured and executed or sold to enslavers in the Caribbean. In response to the rebellion, authorities enacted strict laws to try to prevent a recurrence: banning the enslaved from assembling in groups learning to read, but also prohibiting importation of enslaved people from Africa for 10 years, and bringing in penalties for masters who overworked or were excessively brutal to those they had enslaved.

–Working Class History FBook group

16 Likes

This is very cool, and kinda surprising

19 Likes

Wow, I remember reading about that injustice a while ago. It’s really cool to see the follow-up! Shining a light on things really can help!

12 Likes
13 Likes

Papers, please for the 21st century. New medium, same old fascism.

13 Likes

I also see that the LAPD falsely claim that federal law allows them to require a social security number, which seems hinky. Ah, it is:

police are instructed to ask civilians for their social security numbers and are advised to tell interviewees that “it must be provided” under federal law. Kathleen Kim, a Loyola law professor and immigrants’ rights expert, who previously served on the LA police commission, said she was not aware of any law requiring individuals to disclose social security numbers to local police.

Assholes.

17 Likes

Two words for them:

NOT. APPLICABLE.

Make them try to ‘prove’ a negative, go ahead.

14 Likes

Holy shit, that is terrifying. But Biden is the terrifying dictator, right?

13 Likes

Well, I’m glad the case above happened in a different district than this one:

13 Likes
16 Likes

This is what the Fraternal Order of Police posted after the incident:

They basically kidnapped the kid to use as a social media prop.

15 Likes

Wasn’t sure where else to put this… but it’s a case of a rich white celebrity with a brand to sell stealing from a queer POC…

15 Likes

Here’s a super interesting article about (some of) the racist history of U.S. federal highway planning and construction and what some paces are doing to address it. Lots of well-executed graphics. The article focuses on just a handful of cities, but there are lots more. Real-life supervillain Robert Moses has a cameo.

12 Likes

Wow!

https://www.kapharstudio.com/work/

20 Likes

“At the time, Fratus was also under investigation by the Massachusetts State Police for leaving menacing voice mails for the state’s attorney general, Maura Healey, in which he threatened to slit her throat.

Threats he made in 2018 against Rep. Maxine Waters (D., Calif.) — including lynching Black members of Congress — had also drawn FBI scrutiny. And on the same day that he contacted Outlaw, the evidence showed, Fratus also left anti-Semitic voice mails for an Orthodox Jewish charity in Ocean County, N.J., threatening to kill children at a day camp affiliated with the nonprofit.“

“ he has a history of violent behavior while intoxicated — including a series of attacks on Black women, the homeless, and police dating back to 2011”

15 Likes

In Vino Vertias, my dude.

12 Likes

This could be a cross post with the Trans thread;

12 Likes