Black Lives Matter. Still

I would be interested in comparisons with other groups, too, in terms of whether or not they encounter the same problem with white male doctors (women of any race, LBGQT+ folks). I know this is a problem I have heard anecdotally with my women friends and their male doctors.

But yeah, the core issue is that we need to deconstruct institutional racism across the board.

8 Likes

I had several questions after the episode. Did the black docs have better outcomes universally, or was it just with blacks, or just black males? Do female docs do better with female patients? (anecdotally, I would say yes, but that’s just me) I really do not want to think that the answer to education (also briefly touched on in this episode) and health inequality is segregation! “Separate but equal” has a rather bad odor to it. As you said, the question of LGBT docs / patients, etc, etc. I would hypothesize that the deciding factor is whether the doc is able to see the patient as a viable human being due all the respect and care that devolves to such, and the patient’s ability to see the doc as a responsible, educated professional. Based on how I have seen my mother-in-law react to a black female doc she saw the other day, I would say that is a very real factor! I had thought of this as a generational issue, but I am honestly not so sure anymore.

6 Likes

Good questions… For myself, the doctors I regularly see are a black woman (my PCP), and an Indian-American man (my ENT). The last doctor I saw who was a white man was for a foot issue, and he kind of did sort of ignore me (a white woman). And of course, the whole “we need more than one study” applies here.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it is a generational issue. People since the 60s have been arguing that it’s the older generation is a problem, but it’s proven not to be the case. Racist views are transmitted within communities and among family members, plus, our entire political and economic structures are built on racism, so it’s far more deeply ingrained… on top of that, there is the harder to root out biases which we all suffer from, that are reinforced in our socialization and in our cultural norms. Stokely Carmichael was right when he told the white members of SNCC that they needed to go back to their communities and root out racism there. Racism is a problem FOR black people, but it’s a problem OF white people. I don’t remember the exact quote, but James Baldwin said that as long as white people believe they are white (and all the assumptions that entails), he can’t talk to them.

As far as segregation goes, I agree with you that it’s not what should be done, but in this case, I understand it, coming from the perspective of black folks. As long as we still live in a society shot through with racism, having safe spaces and people who have their background and have lived through some of the same struggles is still a necessity. If this works to improve black men’s health outcomes in the short term, while we’re still dismantling the structures that reinforce racism, I’m all for it.

But of course I’d love to see more white, male doctors step up and be more conscious of their own internalized biases (which is hard for all of us). I don’t know many MDs socially, but a friend of mine’s brother in law is an MD, say he sees these issues pretty regularly with regards to his colleagues, who tend to be more politically and socially conservative.

8 Likes

Agree with all of the above. I wish it could be as simple as “let the olds die off and it will end” but it is not the case. I actually recall vividly having a classmate in med school ask me if I agreed with her that “blacks just are not as evolved as we are.” I think the look on my face made her uncomfortable, because she really did not talk to me much after that. That convinced me that education is not necessarily the answer either. As someone who grew up socializing with pretty much all black friends, who still feels more comfortable in a black crowd than in a white one, realizing just how much shit you put up with if you happen to be melanin enriched was a shock. I will continue to live by the “if you can’t change the world, change your corner of it” mantra. But I find I have very little patience for assholes anymore.

9 Likes

What the actual fuck!!!

It can be part of it, but you’re right that it’s not the entire answer, especially in the modern “fake news”/ filter bubble landscape we all live in.

Indeed. And promoting small scale local change via example most certainly helps, too.

feel-ya

8 Likes

11 Likes
7 Likes

NYPD.

It isn’t just the GOP.

7 Likes

Outrage fatigue is a thing, but this shit cannot be allowed to become normal.

8 Likes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1017176#click=https://t.co/RHCm3JJULL

6 Likes

Take away their badges.
Take away their guns.
Bring them in for 72 hours observation.

Then clean out that cesspit police department.

10 Likes

Thread:

10 Likes

To quote from upthread:

&

8 Likes

Because how dare a white boy be held responsible for a little thing like calling black kids in his school “nr jocks" and then bragging about how he was "really good at typing nr because practice makes perfect.” No, fuck him and his privileged right wing supporters too.

Hmm, OK, don’t use “*” to represent letters you would rather not type. You know what it means, right?

7 Likes
7 Likes

In honor of Juneteenth tomorrow:

7 Likes

The religious roots of racism, still.

6 Likes

“How dare you criticize white people? Don’t you know that is the core of our readership?” Damn, this shit makes me ill.

8 Likes

Related, speaking of Memphis…

And from a couple of years ago, about the same band:

https://afropunk.com/2017/07/wtf-facebook-bans-hardcore-band-negro-terror-for-hate-speech/

Well, shit…

http://www.muddyrootsrecords.com/mr_news/article.php?nid=omar-higgins-of-negro-terror-dead-at-37#.XQqaT6WVthE

4 Likes

Thread.

4 Likes