Black Lives Matter. Still

2 Likes

In Chicago, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Virginia, and other cities across the nation, Black communities have been uprooted by colleges and universities, which were encouraged by federal policies that promoted the expansion of higher education at the expense of the surrounding neighborhoods. It is a legacy the country is only beginning to confront.

9 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

angry kristen wiig GIF

4 Likes

The legacy racism sucks (I’m actually shocked) but good for her on getting the job that’s a hell of a barrier to break through.

10 Likes

A look back at 2023 from the Congressional Black Caucus…

…and a tale of travel that might last through most of 2024 :grimacing::

8 Likes

The kind of white people who can afford a cruise like that being racist? You don’t say.

10 Likes

mother

The Los Angeles sheriff’s department (LASD) released body-camera footage on Friday of an officer fatally shooting Niani Finlayson, 27, who had called 911 for help during a domestic violence incident… The footage from the 4 December encounter showed that deputy Ty Shelton shot Finlayson four times within roughly three seconds of entering her home.

Finlayson’s killing was the latest in a string of incidents involving LA sheriffs in the Lancaster region using extreme force against Black women. In June, a deputy was filmed throwing a woman to the ground outside a store, and the LASD released footage the following month showing a deputy punching a woman in the face as she held her newborn.

1 Like
10 Likes

Black people make up most HIV criminal cases in Maryland

NEW RESEARCH

Since 2000, as many as 104 people have been charged with an HIV-related crime in Maryland. The state’s HIV-related criminal laws are disproportionately enforced based on gender and race. Black people, and Black men in particular, are overrepresented in HIV-related crimes.

Black people make up 30% of Maryland’s population, 71% of people living with HIV, and 82% of HIV-related criminal cases. Black men comprise 14% of the state’s population and 44% of people living with HIV. However, they make up 68% of people accused in HIV-related criminal cases.

1 Like

A horrible update to this:

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

that is just horribly heartbreaking. and completely preventable with normal human kindness and people doing the job they’re supposed to do :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

I cannot speak to this institution specifically, but in far too many rehab and nursing home facilities, profit maximization has become the highest priority. They hire the absolute minimum staff they can get away with, and any “unscheduled event” leads to other patients being neglected and things like this are absolutely predictable. It’s disgusting and far too common.

8 Likes

:sob:

5 Likes

I’m not sure where else to put this, so I’m gonna drop it here. This isn’t a perfect video, but it’s pretty good. Especially considering it’s produced by a white cishet former history teacher from Kansas who definitely is not a political progressive (he’s not right winger, either…he’s kind of a classic centrist). Anyway, if you have anyone in your life who denies the existence of systemic racism, you might show them this video. It’s pretty hard to argue with.

(one of the nonperfect parts is that he mentions in passing at one point not being a fan of the term white privilege because he thinks it discounts the experiences of poor whites…but otherwise, the video is pretty spot on)

5 Likes

The statistic I quote to people who don’t believe in white privilege like that is simply that poor white people are still less likely to be arrested, beaten, or killed by cops than wealthy Black people.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s not that Mr. Beat (actually his real name) doesn’t believe in the idea of white privilege. He doesn’t like the term. He’s still wrong, imo, but he does at least agree that the concept is a real thing.

7 Likes

He’s discussing Spike Lee’s film Bamboozled, so it’s pretty full of very racist imagery (cause the film is full of them)… He does a great job breaking the film down and showing why it’s still incredibly relevant to today’s mediascape:

7 Likes

Nafeesa Muhammad, a professor of history at Spelman College

I know Nafeesa!!! She’s awesomesauce! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes