Black Lives Matter. Still

8 Likes
10 Likes
15 Likes

breonna taylor’s family asking for a new prosecutor to be appointed, and their attorney is trying to gather public support for the effort

12 Likes

Relatively quick charges this time. Please let there be video. (I do not want to see it, but if there is not, this guy will get off.)

14 Likes

Also, the local public radio station has a podcast called Buried Truths, which have previously focused on lynchings in GA history, but this season they are covering the Ahmaud Arbery case:

10 Likes

It is something at least, and aiming at younger kids is key to getting them to reject racism before they are indoctrinated into it. Kudos to Matel for setting themselves up for a shitstorm from the right wing. It is sure to come.

16 Likes
14 Likes
19 Likes

—

—

White supremacy is bipartisan.

11 Likes
13 Likes

Of course that’s one of the agencies being used to go after protesters:

12 Likes

Yes, I’m aware, but I think it’s hard to justify racism directed at members of a racist institution, as it only perpetuates the malice, don’t you think?

ETA: Thinking on it further, POC are more likely to be exploitable pawns for the agency, which just isn’t right.

9 Likes

Last year Louisiana troopers reported that they tried to pull over Ronald Greene for an unspecified traffic violation and he drove away, and according to police during the pursuit he drove into a tree and died from the crash. After the body and vehicle were turned over to his family, they found his suv had minor damage and he had been badly beaten. The police then amended the report to say that he survived the crash and they arrested him with a struggle but the crash still killed him. Despite multiple taser burns and a head and face covered in bruises no investigation occurred for over a year.

Then audio of one of the troopers bragging about how badly the troopers beat him was leaked and it was learned that body cam footage of the whole thing had been available from the start and the state police had lied and covered up the murder. So far 6 troopers have been put on leave but no charges have been filed. (the officer in the leaked recording died in a single vehicle accident hours after being fired)

18 Likes

God dammit.

17 Likes

Yet another reason why Obstruction of Justice needs to apply equally to police, and have the same sentence as the crime that is being covered up.

“Oh, your body camera was turned off, you say. Bummer about that. Now you’re up for murder one instead of manslaughter. Bummer we can’t find that footage.”

18 Likes

““Just let me show you my I.D.,” Lloyd D. Stevenson said as three Portland police officers grabbed him outside a 7-Eleven.

Witnesses called out to the officers that they had the “wrong guy,” that the large Black man they were wrestling to the ground had been trying to keep the peace when a confrontation in the store escalated into a scuffle.

A few minutes later, shortly after 11:30 p.m. on April 20, 1985, Stevenson was dead.”

That was 35 years ago, but the excerpt could have been from today. An honorably discharged marine was breaking up a fight and was killed by police. How have we failed to make any progress over that time? :rage:

16 Likes

Baby steps, but if this moves forward/gets adopted in other cities it might make people think twice before dialing in the future:

15 Likes
11 Likes
15 Likes