Black Panther writer Nnedi Okorafor helps imagine a signature Wakandan dish

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/02/black-panther-writer-nnedi-oko.html

8 Likes

No so sure about the cabbage, but otherwise that looks delectable.

2 Likes

Wakandan? The new super food.

3 Likes

Cabbage sauteed in butter, with plenty of onions and spices as shown there, is an absolute delicacy.

This looks great.

3 Likes

“If you’re missing out on African food, you’re missing out on an important part of life”

I would have to agree. Especially if you love Indian food, you’re missing out if you haven’t tracked down a few African restos.

4 Likes

The spices for the lamb look a great deal like what you use for butter chicken; all that’s missing is garam masala. I may have to try the vegetable and rice mix as a base for it when I make it next.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty good channel, check it out! Drool.

1 Like

One of the fun things about the movie was how Wakandan society combines tradition and innovation, like how the marketplace had a stall selling high-tech holographic doodads next to a stall selling grilled meats. I bet they’d have some cool new way of making food out of 3D-printed injera bread or something.

4 Likes

Needs a pinch of heart-shaped herb.

3 Likes

Are we cannibals?

Just asking…for a friend.

You can simplify this to “(insert any meat or vegetable or grain) sauteed in butter, with plenty of onions and spices as shown there, is an absolute delicacy.” Start with butter, onion, and garlic in a pan and just add whatever else you have.

Sounds like Atakilt Wat; Ethiopian food is some of the best food.

3 Likes

From what I understand, there was a decent bit of contact between east Africa and India. Which you would expect, as they are really pretty close.

3 Likes

Mmmm, Doro Wat

4 Likes

Yep. I know an Indian gal from Kenya, in fact.

2 Likes

My favourite Sydney restaurant for the last twenty years:

https://www.eatnow.com.au/restaurant-19649/Lat-Dior-African-Eatery.html

The Sap Sap is spectacular. Nom.

I was hoping to see something like this served with the meal, I keep encountering it under a number of different names in my reading:

1 Like

To be honest—and maybe it’s a Western palette thing—ugali is not the thing most people would find most exciting about sub-Saharan food. At least in Tanzania, where I’ve spent some time, it tastes pretty much just like flour and water stirred together, with the consistency of anything from thick soup to stiff, stodgy bread dough.

Now, I understand I’ve just presented the mindset of the typical non-African, as described in your first article. I’m sure it tastes like comfort food if you grew up with it.

1 Like

There was an awful lot of trade on the Indian Ocean, long before the Europeans showed up, between East Africa, Arabia, and India. So it’s not surprising there are plenty of similarities in things like cuisine.

And having said that, I now want to make that dish myself! It looks extremely tasty.

1 Like

That was my impression from reading about it but I’d still like to try it, along with the traditional dishes served with it.

I had a Congolese roommate for awhile in France, and we would all cook for each other sometimes. Those were the only Sub-Saharan African dishes that I recall ever eating, and they were eaten with rice. I didn’t know about ugali back then. (I’d love it if there were a wider variety of international restaurants in the area where I live now.)

Many cultures have similar grain-based dishes, and I’m curious about the little similarities and differences between them - even if they turn out to be a little bland and boring. :grinning: