Watch an African tribe try pizza for the first time

Originally published at: Watch an African tribe try pizza for the first time | Boing Boing

5 Likes

No go wash it down with a good aged Chianti Classico, some cool water and an espresso after that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shows that some of those these things are universal.
Everybody loves pizza.

5 Likes

The language of pizza is L O V E.

7 Likes

Looks like ham and pineapple. Bold way to wade right into the controversy.

13 Likes

Could’ve been kiwi fruit and prunes, I shit you not that was on a pizza menu, pun intended…

7 Likes

I’d eat that. Doesn’t sound too bad.

3 Likes

Also the kid at the end jumping to get in the camera frame, that’s pretty universal

7 Likes

The channel only has a few videos up… but it’s awesome…

Listen to those giggles…

And here they are trying Asian food for the first time…

8 Likes

Heathen, well I have been known to place the odd topping on my pizza, so all is forgiven.

P.S. Been using a new recipe for pizza dough: Flour and Yogurt and salt, add/fold the yogurt to flour until you get the texture you desire, add small amount of good olive oil too that will flatten it all the more for thin crust. It really is great for home oven pizza making.

10 Likes

Even when it’s not great. As they say, pizza is like sex: even when it’s mediocre it’s still pretty damned good.

3 Likes

Funny video. I wonder what part of Africa they are from? I know that the Massai in Kenya like to drink cow’s blood and fermented milk. Maybe eventually they get the hang of sausage and cheese! I wonder what a really Kenyan-style pizza would be like.

2 Likes

I thought of Kenya as well (they’re very proud of their Ugali, not sure if Tanzania has that as well). In the coastal areas they have swahili cuisine, which is mostly based on indian food but deliciously different. I guess chapati is their style of pizza? You can put mchicha on it (bit like spinach) and pieces of kuku choma (roasted chicken)

1 Like

People. Watch some African people try pizza for the first time.

2 Likes

They instinctively folded it in half which indicates that they are ready for a New York slice.

6 Likes

And the one guy liked it better than salami. Ha! Take that, purists. :+1:

6 Likes

They do that in Italy, too. “A libre,” I think is what they call it.

4 Likes

I’m good with all sorts of unconventional items on pizza. I once ordered a slice in London and it came with corn niblets on it. My initial internal response was “WTF” but as soon as I tried it I wondered why nobody in the States had ever come up with such a tasty idea.

5 Likes

I’ll bet that the Maasai would be at least as entertained watching the spectacle of Europeans or Americans drinking fresh cow’s blood for the first time as westerners are at watching these guys eating pizza.

5 Likes

When I was in Moldova in the 00s, Andy’s Pizza hadn’t settled on their current simple menu (Italian, Hawaiian, Margherita, etc.), and some choices were like throwing a Russian cold salad onto the base. I tried some of them, and I can say I was okay with the corn niblets, too.

5 Likes