Watch an African tribe try pizza for the first time

According to my Kenyan friend they’re Masai. And she’d know better than I.

2 Likes

Yes, they are. It says so on their name of their youtube channel, linked above.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that corn on pizza isn’t a standard topping; like chicken tikka.

1 Like

The Rolling Stonebaker in Valparaiso, Indiana has a bunch of fabulous options, including:

Get That Corn Out of My Face!

Wood-Roasted Sweet Corn | Tomatillo Lime Aioli | Fresh Jalapeno | Cojita Cheese | Cilantro | Chili Salt

So good!

3 Likes

Would a video of Italians trying Maasai food for the first time be as interesting?

In America there is corn in everything you eat. It’s not called King Corn for nothing.

1 Like

I had a curried banana pizza once and my god it was amazing.

2 Likes

It is, in some places.

4 Likes

I used to be a Pizza motorcycle delivery driver back in the '90s. One of the shops I worked in was frequented by a group of Israelis who would typically order pizza with chicken and olives. So I tried it and it’s pretty damn good! To this day it’s still one of my favourite pizzas.

And one freezing snowy night, I watched one of the other drivers build a custom pizza starting with a generous amount of curry sauce instead of tomato sauce, to which he added chicken, onion, peppers, pineapple and a bunch of other stuff I can’t remember. The end result was essentially a chicken curry on a pizza base. So I built one too and it was amazing!

Fast forward a decade or so and I’m in a pizza restaurant in Italy. I noticed they had chicken on the menu and obviously they had olives, so I asked the waiter for a chicken and olive pizza. The waiter gave me a weird look and said in Italian - I don’t think so. I’ll ask the chef, but I don’t think so. So he went into the kitchen and arrived back a moment later, still with the weird look on his face. He tapped the menu with his index finger and said - The chef says no. Order off the menu…

7 Likes

Anthony Bourdain Yes GIF by Ovation TV

I mean… that’s the whole premise of the late Anthony Bourdain’s show, yeah? A white guy trying regional cuisines… :woman_shrugging: He went everywhere and tried everything when he got there.

7 Likes

pizza-americana

Pizza Americana.
Yes, it’s a thing.

2 Likes

gawd, i loved that man!
would that i could travel and eat like that. 'fraid i am nowhere near as eloquent as he. and certainly not as good looking!

hmmm… now i am thinking of how to make a phò pizza?!

2 Likes

He was fantastic, wasn’t he?

2 Likes

Holy smokes, that pizza sounds amazing. I might try to recreate that at home. Thanks for sharing that.

2 Likes

It’s been ages since I last had a pizza with anchovies. Yum-you-licious!

3 Likes

Dear Wife doesn’t like me taking anchovies with when we dine out for pizza, the pizza place usually asks to sample them on their pizza and doesn’t make a fuss when I bust them out.

3 Likes

4 Likes

There are a couple of Mulberry St. pizzerias in the south end of the San Fernando Valley. (They may have locations further north.) Super-thin (and super-wide) which intensifies the flavors. Last I heard, anchovies were added to their list of toppings. And they sell by the slice along with pies. Try their spinach white and with garlic as the topping. Incredible flavor from such a simple build!

2 Likes

It’s Pizza Night here at the Hacienda de Papasan, dough is under the cloth ready for its final destination to the oven. Nothing fancy tonight, just tomato pie with five cheeses.

3 Likes

Don’t knock it until you have tried it.

1 Like