#BlackLivesMatter

4 Likes

fucking awful.

and to release it right before Thanksgiving…

2 Likes

On the plus side the officer is being charged with Murder One.

8 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Also, an interview with the women who helped write the song:

3 Likes

Hollis Wong-Wear makes a point that shows nicely how art can be political without necessarily being didactic or allegorical. What a thoughtful person.

I think that white privilege even is difficult for white people to wrap their heads around, and there’s so much defensiveness and personalization with it, and if there’s any influence that can get white people to stop taking what it means to be racist personally, it’s deeply important. Because that’s the only way that work is going to begin: if white people really start understanding what it means to be racist.

She’s right that whether someone intends to “be racist” or not is often beside the point.

3 Likes

Well, there’s an argument that everyone is bigoted, racist, and sexist.

But the point isn’t that we’re racist, but the entire social construct is skewed to support the ones with the most power (typically, wealthy heterosexual cis-males of european decent).

4 Likes

Yes, I do think it’s helpful to think about language, history, institutions … the systems that help make our lives meaningful … when trying to make sense of racism. If that’s too confusing, then working backwards from the harm caused works too.

In either approach, examining the ahistorical, “heart of hearts” is less helpful. It’s Emersonian to fixate there and less helpful.

2 Likes
1 Like

yeah, that seems odd. I think he makes more of a difference to America by staying outside the system and advocating nationally.

1 Like

The Advocate: Why Deray McKesson Matters

1 Like

Warning: this video of a how a a Trump rally in KY treats a black woman protester is a hard to watch.

Yeah, not looking forward to the results of months of Trump’s deliberate stoking of racist aggression.

Fucking mainstream outlets seem content to .ahem. whitewash these events. There’s a clear fucking pattern that racially motivated violence has been happening at Trump campaign events, yet this fool wants to paper over it with cheeky phrases like “Trump Ignites Emotions.”

Is violence happening at campaign events of other candidates? No? Shit, shouldn’t that warrant more coverage than taking steno the 874th time Drumpf talks about the wall and making America great again?

God, I feel like I’m watching the media be asleep at the wheel in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq.

Thankfully, Raw Story names names.

12 Likes

Ah, hell. Looks like the shithead who was shoving already has a SPLC bio.

5 Likes

Towson University in Maryland, where he received a degree in history

What kind of history do they teach there?

White history? /s

Someone had the silly notion of asking me the other day why there isn’t “white history month” and I replied, “the history of white people in America is what’s already in the history books. Why do we need a month to ‘celebrate’ what happens every day?”

11 Likes

Getting a bit off-topic, but that reminds me of this:

for the last two International Women’s Days I have tried to highlight this stupidity. I have got up early, logged on to Twitter and searched for the phrase “International Men’s Day”, found every single person who has tweeted the question and responded to them all individually: “It’s 19 November.”
There are thousands to get through. It goes on relentlessly, for hours and hours, but I try to get to them all because to see the same moronic question asked over and over again by people (who don’t even think just to check Google to make sure they’re not making an arse of themselves) is very funny, and shows exactly why an International Women’s Day is necessary.
Incidentally, nobody tweets me back to say “Oh thanks for the information. I was wondering when it was.” Almost like they don’t want to know the answer to their own question.

10 Likes

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/03/05/utah-senator-says-flint-doesnt-need-aid-blocks-lead-bill/81359766/

Ugh. Of course this drumpfleberry is a tea partier who’s down with a do-nothing senate.

U.S. Sen. Mike Lee’s statement, which indicated his belief that the measure proposed by U.S. Sens. Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters, both D-Mich., represented a “federalizing” of water infrastructure, objected to the bill, arguing the state has not directly asked Congress for any emergency spending and has its own surplus to spend if it needs money.

“Michigan has an enormous budget surplus this year and a large rainy-day fund,” Lee said. “Relief and repair efforts are already in the works. The people and policymakers of Michigan right now have all the government resources they need to fix the problem. … The only thing Congress is contributing to the Flint recovery is political grandstanding.”

Yah, political grandstanding. Like being the only white man from a white state to oppose helping a city full of poor black folk who got poisoned by a profiteering Republican governor.

6 Likes

Movember! Grow a moustache to promote awareness for mens health issues.

What the fuck.

There’s a month now.

4 Likes