Blade Runner rumored to be coming to TV

Originally published at: Blade Runner rumored to be coming to TV | Boing Boing

1 Like

C’mon guys. Blade Runner 2049 was great, against all reasonable expectation, but you’re tempting fate. Quit while you’re ahead.

22 Likes

We have been in the age of ‘beat a proven winner into powder’ for awhile now. I made a prediction when Lord of the Rings became a megahit that in our lifetimes we would see a laugh track sitcom based in the Shire, at the far end of an endless string of good, bad, and mediocre offerings. I stand by that prediction.

Similarly, Bladerunner will be milked like Star Wars, getting further and further away from the Big Idea of the original movie, until all that is left is ‘cool dystopian setting’ with lame Hollywood recycled plotlines.

17 Likes

I bet it will be something like Altered Carbon – they’ll get impressive visuals but a meh storyline.

4 Likes

I agree. 2049 was just about the best possible sequel imaginable. I’m totally in on a series set in the Blade Runner “universe” but it shouldn’t directly related to the films. Eight episodes set in the offworld colonies would be worth watching.

4 Likes

The basic idea of Blade Runner—cranky human cop hunts bad robots with help from good robot—is in the public domain, and has been remade many times, most recently in Almost Human

The BBC radio version of Caves of Steel is on YouTube

5 Likes

Almost Human was an awesome series (and shot here in Vancouver). Unfortunately, science fiction doesn’t have enough of a production cost/audience numbers balance to keep them going most of the time.

3 Likes

Total Recall 2070 drew as much as it could get away with from Blade Runner as well

3 Likes

y’know… i’d watch that.

4 Likes
8 Likes

I know that the offworld colonies have slaves (every colonist gets a replicant to exploit) and torture (in 2049, Luv’s “Offworld is waiting” was not reassuring in the least). And you want to spend time there?

2 Likes

At least it isn’t Snowpeircer

1 Like

Hey, they stole my idea, which I posted as a reply to another Blade-Runner-related BoingBoing story, just over a year ago. This better not suck!

1 Like

Tom Bombadil CBBC show, anyone?

So…no one’s noticed this article is from 2018?

6 Likes

…or the Blade Runner Babies cartoon on Saturday morning TV.

3 Likes

Fair enough - we’ll blame you, then. :wink:

1 Like

Congratulations, you passed the beta Voight-Kampff test. It was in use by 2019, so it makes sense that this early version of it was circulating the year prior.

4 Likes

But if we twist hard enough we can wring the last few coins out of a respected franchise

1 Like

4 Likes