Blast the wax out of your ear with this scary-looking $15 device

Get and Elaphant ear cleaner before you deafen yourself. All you need is a slow flow of warm water, not a jet from a giant needle.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/eew1456.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwkrmhBRD49Mbm_MvruWsSJAAEDt13zNo-kL4UgJ7ritPN8Pah3LLhggGX7SBaZTwegc2EiBoC98_w_wcB

You can do it for free if you have a showerhead with a ā€œmassageā€ setting. As an added bonus, it sounds really cool.

2 Likes

But I like the tickle and crackle of peroxide bubbling in my ears.

Anyway, for some reason I really want one of these things even though I would never, ever, stick it in my ear.

1 Like

I was using something much like this when my Nutella habit was at its worst.

Bad times, man.

4 Likes

My wife does the dirty work for me - lucky girl - she pours in a half cap full strength in my ear when itā€™s really impacted and I let it sit for a couple minutes, then she flushes it.
I know that supposedly youā€™re not supposed to use full strength, but the ONLY time I went to the Dr. before learning how to do it myself, they did the exact same thing. And used a huge syringe.

ā€œFull strengthā€ is about 85%, at least in context of rocket propellantsā€¦?

As far as I can tell from the Amazon listings, H2O2 solutions for first aid are all about 3% v/v.

Then thereā€™s a bunch of quack ā€œInternal Oxygen Therapyā€ stuff that comes in little tincture droppers that says itā€™s 35% H2O2 without stating how thatā€™s measured. I swear, it should literally be a crime to advertise that shit even with the quack Miranda rights.

I canā€™t say that feeding you strychnine will cure your back pain, and improve your circulation. If I actually tried to sell poison like that, Iā€™d go to jail. But if I sell you something only moderately poisonous (such as concentrated H2O2) with all the same claims, and excuse myself with the quack Miranda Rights, Iā€™m just an entrepreneur.

1 Like

Concentrated H2O2 (30%, I used technical grade) is excellent for burning out problematic infected small-ish wounds. Applied dropwise it destroys everything, leaves a sterile peroxide burn which heals easily. Tested on myself, learned that trick from my mom.

1 Like

I donā€™t suppose you think itā€™s a good idea to swallow 35% hydrogen peroxide though? Because thatā€™s what the purveyors of such illustrious panaceas as ā€œThe One Minute Cure: The Secret to Healing Virtually All Diseasesā€ along with 8oz bottles of 35% hydrogen peroxide, claiming to cure diabetes and all that by swallowing the crap.

Donā€™t swallow hydrogen peroxide. Itā€™s not good for you. 1% hydrogen peroxide is used as a reliable method of inducing vomiting in dogs. Why would high concentrations of that stuff be any better for humans to swallow?

For internal use it sounds rather risky (and without any obvious benefits). Unless it is grossly diluted somewhere along the route, it will also cause rather bad burns. How much do they suggest to use?

Thereā€™s a small note on amazon warning not to use the stuff unless properly diluted. It looks like thereā€™s a quack whoā€™s peddling hydrogen peroxide as a complete panacea and these 8oz vials are just recharges that go with her book.

Seriously, this is fraud.

One of the key claims made is that, when taken internally, hydrogen peroxide releases oxygen, which is vital to our precious bodily fluids (paraphrasing). Honestly, if you have tissue suffering from hypoxia, itā€™s probably because you have very bad circulation, anemia, or heart/lung/breathing problems. None of these will be helped by swallowing any amount of hydrogen peroxide.

ETA:
I donā€™t care if the instructions require dilution of the stuff to homeopathic levels. Selling not-medicine as if it were medicine is inherently harmful because it encourages people to treat themselves without any medical supervision. It also encourages people to forgo real medical treatment and to use treatments that are untested and in some cases proven-to-be-harmful or ineffective. And whats-more, people claiming to be alternative health practitioners are raking in the dough because theyā€™re selling false hope to people who donā€™t know any better.

Thatā€™s the pilot model. The omorphometer at the top was replaced with a nondestructive model shortly after that photo.

Or, if you are a Canadian, you just go see your local physician and he does if for you. Part of the regular medical service we are accustomed to

2 Likes

Sounds like a set up for a blonde joke

I like my hearing too much to seriously consider using this as advertised.
As a photo prop, on the other handā€¦

Stop using the Q-tips. The problem will go away.

Your ears donā€™t need cleaning.

How are so many of you getting impacted wax in your ears?!

I use q-tips on my ears, but I only wipe the areas I could reach as if I were using a washrag. I only use them so that I donā€™t get an otherwise clean washrag dirty every time I shower. When I actually used to put the q-tip IN my ear, thatā€™s when I had a problem and impacted my ear wax.

See, people look at me weird when I make improvised ear-cleaners. Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not aloneā€¦

1 Like

I clean my ears with my elbows, never had a problem.

3 Likes

What, are you a fly?

1 Like