Blimp Style Pancakes

What can I say, sometimes I’m lazy. It’s not hard to measure out all the ingredients, sift, etc, no. But it’s absolutely simpler to (a) pour the dry mix from a box (b) add wet (c) make pancakes. shrug

3 Likes

It depends on how often you use said ingredients. Flour can and will go bad, as will baking soda/powder.

4 Likes
1 Like

All rice cookers have timers

No they don’t. None of the rice cookers I have had (first one bought close to forty years ago, most recent one bought about two years ago.) have timers.

You can buy such things here [1] too. But I do agree it seems unnecessary.

[1] Norway.

1 Like

Unless you are keeping it somewhere rather damp and not properly sealed those last ages, at least many months.

1 Like

The flour can go bad, but i make pancakes almost every weekend so that’s generally not a worry for me and i don’t buy a ton of it. Baking soda/power however will last a long time if properly sealed

1 Like

I’ve never made pancakes from a mix, and probably won’t ever, but Jiffy cornbread mix was my jam in college. Costs next to nothing, and you can’t fuck it up.

I have never heard of buying pre-baked potatoes. I mentally substituted powdered mashed potatoes for pre-baked potatoes. Powdered mashed potatoes are indeed an abomination.

I honestly expected one of the first five comments to be “Blimp style pancakes? Americans can eat a whole stack of those hurr durr”

2 Likes

I’m not down with leaving raw eggs overnight.

1 Like

Rice Cooker (An adapted comment Haiku)

Our old rice cooker,
In college it got moldy,
We threw the thing out

9 Likes

So much depends
upon

A moldy rice
cooker

Inside the
dumpster

Beside the used
condoms

8 Likes

Damn, ninja’ed again!

2 Likes

9 Likes

Which is fine, no judgement really. Plenty of people seem to enjoy Eggos as well but i don’t care for them.

2 Likes

Bonus points for William Carlos Williams though.

I have thrown out
the rice cooker
that was in
the backyard

and which
you were probably
never
going to clean

Forgive me
it was moldy
so nasty
and so gross

9 Likes

I’ve bought frozen hash browns for recipes that need pre-shredded potatoes, because when comparing them, the price ended up being nearly identical, and it saved me the hassle of shredding a big pile of potatoes.

I make mashed potatoes all the time and think my recipe is the bomb (no modesty there) but at times I’ve also bought the refrigerated (not frozen) Bob Evans pre-made mashed potatoes. They’re pretty cheap and are surprisingly good. My parents default to them now because they’re way better than what they can do from scratch.

1 Like

Trader Joe’s makes some pretty good frozen mashed potatoes. One of those things that are nice to have on hand when you get lazy. For instance, I prefer to make mac and cheese from scratch but I still keep boxes of Annie’s in the pantry because it’ll keep and sometimes I can’t be bothered to do much more.

1 Like

Pretty much anything frozen from Trader Joes is surprisingly good. When my rice maker broke, I became a fan of their frozen rice – which sounds goofy, but in three minutes you can have excellent brown or jasmine rice with zero hassle. Their frozen pastries are worthwhile as well.

3 Likes

I couldn’t get the pre-made mashed potatoes to even remotely compare to the real deal. Real mashed potatoes should be thick, fluffy, buttery, and a little lumpy. Mashed potatoes from the box have been a thin, oily, homogenous textural nightmare IME.

Leftover Cake? How can cake be “left over”? There is “cake that will be consumed now”. And possibly, “cake that will be consumed a little later.”

Tell me more of this “Leftover Cake”

Yes. The beauty of always having a box that will make a meal out of the box’s contents and some cold water is not to be glossed over. Many a time when a trip to the store was delayed just a few days too many and the box of Store-brand Pancake mix saved the day.

11 Likes