Blimp Style Pancakes

I tend to prefer making things from scratch (within reason) but Mac n cheese is one of my guilty pleasures. I really love Kraft mac n chee and it’s convenient and quick to make.

2 Likes

There’s a huge difference between homemade waffles vs. waffle mix waffles. But there’s little difference between homemade pancakes and mix pancakes. It is a mystery of the universe.

2 Likes

I’ve had some truly disappointing pancakes made from mixes from different brands. I suspect that some diners/restaurants i’ve had pancakes from must’ve made theirs from mixes, so there has to be mixes that are truly tasty but the regular store bought ones i’ve had sucked.

Pancake mix I don’t really understand, but it doesn’t baffle me nearly as much as pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That seems to me like the laziest possible product.

Eggs left at room temperature for eight hours, I’m sure it’ll be… fine.

5 Likes

@RichardKaufman, do you have a particular pancake mix that you recommend for this recipe?

I’ve been eating Aunt Jemima pancakes since I was a little kid, so that’s my go-to mix. Pancakes are really tricky–I’ve had so many that are dry or gummy when eating out.

My tip for great mashed potatoes (and it sounds crazy but has proven delicious for many years in our household): add mayonnaise. This tip is for mashed made from scratch, not from a mix (strike me dead if I ever eat that crap again).

2 Likes

I will totally try this.

My go-to addition is cream cheese and a splash of milk.

Dutch baby baked in cast iton ftw!

11 Likes

Just putting this here if you like your pancakes with a side of hero. These are amazing.

8 Likes

“America Sucks” jokes are funny if they are made by americans in a lighthearted way, because hey it is a vent for dealing with the shit we have to deal with on a daily basis. Unfortunately, they have lost their appeal in these threads due to a few people making them out of a bashing spirit instead of humorous spirit. Glances sideways at @FFabian for no specific reason… :slight_smile:

a gravy delivery abomination of deliciousness!

5 Likes

Rosa Parks Making Pancakes & History:

5 Likes

I have my grandma’s cookbooks from the 40s and 50s. The recipes in them are unhealthy, completely different from modern cooking, and unpalatable unless one has a taste for throwback food. These Rosa Parks pancakes, however, still sound like they might work.

1 Like

When i was in my college years the first day i moved in as a roommate to a high school friend of mine she was making instant mashed potatoes as her lunch. I gave her a look and immediately banned her from the kitchen, made her some quick pasta. She wasn’t used to cooking stuff that didn’t come from a box, can, or freezer since her family had struggled with their income for a long time.

I struggled with income for most of my life as well but being hispanic my parents raised me that food is the one thing you never cut corners on. You don’t need to buy the best ingredients but taking the time to make something fresh is pretty rewarding and uplifting. As a parent (or even a single working person) this can be really hard and isn’t always doable. But i certainly think that it’s a problem worth chasing, people need to cook more at home :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh man, Dutch Baby. I was introduced to one of these monsters at a pancake place in LA; they serve them with just a dusting of powdered sugar and a healthy squirt of lemon juice, and they’re so good. Also good filled with baked apple slices.

6 Likes

Sure, they’re funny if they’re topical, incisive, observational, and self-effacing. “Hurr durr Americans are fat and lazy” is none of those things, and is really not even a joke.

Just eat the gravy then.

4 Likes
  1. Is a martini made with vodka still a martini? (NO, it is not.)
  2. Is a hot dog a sandwich?
  3. Is cereal soup?
2 Likes

I am similar to you. I never buy premade anything. I have a fully-stocked refrigerator door full of sauces, and it’s all stuff I make myself. Same with breads, pie crusts, etc. Supermarket bread has nothing on the fresh-baked homemade stuff.

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to learn how to make bread at home. When we lived in Venezuela we were spoiled on fresh baked bread from bakeries (breads from local bakeries there are amazing in general). I bought myself a stand mixer and a recipe book a few years ago aaaaand… i’ve yet to touch them.

1 Like

I’ve tried, alas it just isn’t the same straight, like chipotle mayo, or butter, it needs a delivery vehicle substance.

I make my own mash potatoes at home from scratch, but i’ve eaten enough dried potatoes flakes back country to have acquired a fondness for their peculiar flavor. I’ll even order mash potatoes w/ gravy on the rare occasions i visit any chicken chain. i think they are officially on my comfort food list, the same way mac and cheese is, or a simple grilled cheese with processed cheese, or ramen from a packet, or chicken soup from a can with those oyster crackers. rare treats, more flavor nostalgia than anything.

edit note: also, as far as backpacking goes, potato flakes are super light, cook quick, and combine with a lot of camping dishes. they are a fantastic backpacking food, well if you can learn to like the taste. you can get powdered butter, cheese, gravy, etc, real bacon bits, dried chives, freeze dried peas and carrots, etc. to turn them into a main dish, or use them as a base similar to rice for whatever other dish you are making.

4 Likes

Some will disagree but, a hotdog is a cooked sausage.
While traditionally on a bun or some type of bread, It is still a hotdog without bread.
So no, it is not.

Cereal is not a soup. It is any type of grass cultivated for it’s grain.

Now Breakfast cereal…

1 Like