Blimp Style Pancakes

2 person household and one’s diabetic.

1 Like

Is “deep dish pizza” a pizza? (No, it’s pizza casserole.)

1 Like

Is it really a single function appliance if it makes rice and cake?

4 Likes

I’ll agree.
Grew up in NY so, yea

Well to me it is, as I have pots pans that do both of those things and more. I did realize that I have one single function appliance that I can’t do without, the coffee maker!

Single function? Roger Ebert wrote an entire cookbook using just a rice cooker!

4 Likes

I’ll try any vertically-ambitious food at least once.

3 Likes

I’m with you, I was making a joke. I don’t have a rice cooker any more. I have an Instant Pot that I use to make rice as well as any number of other things. I just looked at pressure cooker cake recipes to see if a similar thing could be done. It seems that it can be though almost all of the recipes are from Indian cooks. I’m assuming because actual ovens are much less common in India.

1 Like

I’ve actually been looking into replacing my rice cooker / steamer/ etc with an Instant Pot. They look pretty terrific. Dunno if they have Fat Pancake settings though.

Mine makes rice and quinoa :slight_smile: Both my rice and my quinoa rarely came out well until I started using the rice cooker. Now, they’re both perfect every time.

Oddly enough, I bought the rice cooker in the first place to serve as a humidifier at my workplace (oh hey, that’s another use, heh). The air was so dry that we were getting bloody noses, but the humidifier that my boss bought for us required a chemical antibacterial additive that made my skin and eyes burn. So I just boiled water and made steam with the rice cooker. When that job ended, I brought it home, cleaned off the hard-water deposits, and decided to try cooking rice with it. It was a revelation!

I suspect it would be a burnt bottom cake setting. Maybe not though, you could probably make steamed style bread or cakes in one. Boston brown bread, or any sort of Asian steamed dumpling.

Oh yeah, as far as pressure cooker rice goes I have found that ignoring the “rice” setting and using the times detailed on hippressurecooking.com gets much better results.

1 Like

Ah, I see now! Wasn’t sure at first :blush:.

I find pancake mix fascinating. Especially the “Just add eggs, milk, etc.”. What is this magic dust that is not flour?

I saw a TV show about canned mushroom soup recently (no, really, I watch the good stuff). There was one company offering forest mushroom soup. Because the canning factory was in the forest.

They are amazing. I have another similar recipe with a ton of baking powder and it’s really good. The peanut butter is boss though.

1 Like

Colonel Blimp made pancakes?

I guess he did.

[quote=“Lanthade, post:8, topic:100654”]
Made it.[/quote]
Thanks for being the test subject on this. I might try it, though our rice cooker lost its nonstickness maybe 20 years ago.

We also have a breadmaker, it does a mean pound cake, but it is harder to clean than the rice cooker (the innards of which we just throw in the dishwasher after scooping out the leftover rice).

3 Likes

Depends on how often you make rice, I guess. I’ve never seen a household of an East Asian immigrant that doesn’t have a rice cooker.

1 Like

Wait, non-stick rice cooker? What is this mystical device of which you speak? Today I’ve learned about rice cookers with timers, rice cookers with stay-warm function, and non-stick rice cookers. Black magic all three I tell you.

My wife is half Chinese so I married into two old, well used, and well traveled rice cookers. One big and one small depending on how many people I’m feeding. As a vanilla white boy the magic of the rice cooker was an eye opener for me. Now I buy rice by the 25# bag and go through at least a couple a year.

The rice cookers I know plug into the wall, have one switch, and one light. Push the switch and wait for the light to go off. It makes a noise then too. Maybe half an hour it makes the noise again. No idea why. Part of the voodoo I think.

Pro-tip, if you let the rice sit for 10-15 minutes (without opening the cooker) before diving in, and then you use your rice paddle to scrape down the sides when you open it up the rice doesn’t stick to the cooker so much. Still quite tasty and satisfying.

3 Likes

Ours too, except the only noise is the switch clicking off. We have rice pretty much every day (we live in Hawaii), so the rice cooker is important. I think I bought this one when I moved back to the US the first time, so over 25 years ago. When new there was some kind of nonstick surface finish on the aluminum interior, but it is long gone.

Long gone = coating your innards helping to keep things regular. :slight_smile: