Blinkist crunches a best-selling book or even popular podcasts down to only 15 minutes

Originally published at: Blinkist crunches a best-selling book or even popular podcasts down to only 15 minutes | Boing Boing

I already feel sad for where this is headed, esp for authors who’ve spent their lives, perhaps thousands of hours on their craft to guide a reader along a journey, only to have it shredded by artificial “intelligence”. Never mind the false equivalency made by an audience who won’t know any better, b/c they weren’t exposed to the genuine article.

I hear that, but most of what they’re talking about is non-fiction, specifically self-help. Those tend to be 15-page papers masquerading as 300 page books. If the summaries are actually good, they would suffice for most works. I don’t know how their “AI” works but if that’s their approach I would guess it’s no better than reading the first line of each paragraph.

1 Like

I condensed the Bible down to one paragraph.

6 Likes

Every once in a while, a company debuts a new product or adds a new feature and you think, “Wow…now that’s a really smart idea.”

However, this is not one of those times

6 Likes

There’s a very funny little book that does the same for some fiction classics.

1 Like

This.

Especially books with a number in the title. “Eight Rules For…” “The Ten Principles Of …”

Sounds perfect for tactical reading.

This tech will be applied wherever the market demand leads it.

“Revolutionize your sex life with this new technique that shortens lovemaking sessions to 15 seconds or less!”

1 Like

Yeah but what is the tech? It doesn’t give any indication, just throws out “AI”.

I’m waiting for the Blockchain solution to the Cliffs Notes Creation problem myself.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.