Blogger killed by exploding gadget


#1

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/22/blogger-killed-by-exploding-ga.html

A popular French blogger was killed after a pressurized whipped cream dispenser exploded and struck her in the chest.

French media reported she had died of cardiac arrest after the incident, despite medical attention.

The popular fitness and travel figure was well-known in France, with some 55,000 Facebook fans and 154,000 followers on Instagram.

One of Ms Burger's family members took to Instagram, warning readers not to use the dispenser, saying that tens of thousands of "defective devices" remain in circulation.


#2

A lot of people use these for “recreational use,” often when impaired, which makes them more likely to cause injury.


#3

I was just reading about commotio cordis!
If you get a strong strike to the chest in the right area, you die.
Basically all those Kung-fu movies had it right.
Terrifying, we’re such delicate ugly bags of mostly water.


#4

Definitely a needless death, i wonder if the container was truly defective or if it was improperly sealed, or just one of those one in a million type malfunctions where things just fail.

When i worked for various coffee shops we handled those things all the time. You become pretty comfortable handling them, didn’t think that they could be dangerous to such a degree ]:


#5

Most food industry persons revere these with a jaundiced eye. They’re dangerous.


#6

Big double plus likes for the HK-47 reference.


#7

Whip it bad.


#8

‘Recreational use’ here means that the whipped cream propellant is nitrous oxide or laughing gas.


#9

she probably should have used the popular wind-bag ooops air bags


#10

What are you referring to? Isn’t that just a food grade C02 cartridge?

Which I know the put (or used to put?) in canned whipped cream. In this case, though, is that the actual propellant?

Also - fun tip - if using stuff for food, make sure you use food grade c02 cartridges. I know a guy buying the ones used for pellet guns or paintball guns for a seltzer water, until his friend dumped a whole cartridge into the air and let him smell the vaporized lubricant they include in them.

I was introduced to it in the book Aliens: Tribes illustrated by Dave Dorman (which I eventually go signed!)

I thought that was a Star Trek reference. Didn’t HK-47 refer to humans as meat bags?


#11

Yes, nitrous oxide is the preferred gas. It has something to do with the fat content of the cream and how N20 dissolves in the fat. Here’s one source:

I would also think that CO2 would turn the cream sour as water dissolved CO2 turns to carbonic acid and thus decreases the pH. I don’t know if this is a real problem and I haven’t tried making whipped cream with CO2.


#12

Ohhhh, shit, I guess your right.

Also;

No, it is nitrous oxide.
They even sell the canisters at the place where I buy cigars, which is also what we used to call a “head shop.”

I did sure liked being reminded of HK-47 anyway.


#13

Next Gen: ugly giant bags of mostly water.


#14

Thanks for refreshing my memory.


#15

When I was in college I lived above a record store one year. Along with records, they sold chargers and some miscellaneous paraphernalia.

The streets around the building were literally littered with spent chargers.


#16

The Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique


#17

I guess I’m being a pedant but does a whipped cream dispenser really count as a gadget??


#18

Oh, lever alone. She’s dead.


#19

Yes, TNG. I should have been specific.


#20

I think you’re right about the CO2, especially under the high-pressure conditions that exist inside the container, the cream would curdle. And call me a fool, but I don’t imagine the market for canned cottage cheese is very high…