Bloomingdales suggests you intoxicate your lady friends for Christmas

Agreed. However, I could see there being a scenario in which the genders were switched and it still played creepy - old/young perhaps? In any event, here’s a same gender version in which I still can’t get away from the message:

If we’re posting Baby It’s Cold Outside videos…

UGH… “spiking” someone’s drink is one of those concepts that I never understood; something that makes me suspect a surprisingly large swath of people have at least some sociopathic or sadistic tendencies. Neither should be encouraged nor lionized.

One of my highlights from this year was John Oliver calling out the concept of pranking, something which is pretty bad. But not as bad as literally drugging someone, male or female, ANYONE, without their consent, and possibly without any knowledge of how they physiologically react to alcohol, what medications they’re currently on, etc…

Disrespectful. Dangerous. Stupid.

8 Likes

No gender combination will erase the line:

“Say, what’s in this drink?!?”

3 Likes

Good response which points out that those aren’t even possibilities in this context, but I’d also add to @Dioptase1 that spiking someone’s drink to publicly humiliate them isn’t in any way better or more acceptable. Seriously WTF. Not to mention that some else might take advantage of their involuntarily impaired judgment. It is NEVER OKAY under ANY circumstances.

8 Likes

My mind goes to a darker scenario where the women spikes the guys drink and he wakes up with one less kidney, and she is walking around in new shoes and matching hand bag.

3 Likes

I knew an older couple a few years ago, and this was their favourite song (I’d actually never heard it before that point). I guess the idea was that the woman is supposed to act coy and that a bit of alcohol and persuasion would provide some welcome plausible deniability - or at least that’s the nicest slant I could put on it. It’s weird to see someone singing songs implicitly supporting the defence that “she just melted into it” or the idea that “no no no no no no ok” means “yes”.

You too?

1 Like

In today’s context, maybe an even more damning line than “What’s in this drink?” is “The answer is no.”

Being coy can be fun. Trying to get a lover to stay a little while with some excuse about the weather sounds like a plausibly good time. But “the answer is no” is pretty unambiguous.

Though I just thought of another way to redeem the song so we can all enjoy it:

:musical_note: I simply must go (It’s cold outside)
The answer is no (Remember the safe word is “pineapple”)
The welcome has been (So lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at that storm) :musical_note:

1 Like

Bo and Luke Duke?

2 Likes

I think it’s one thing when you know the other person and it’s understood to be a game, but it seems pretty dangerous if it’s expected behaviour and a culture is built around the idea that men should expect some resistance to sexual encounters that the woman also wants, or that expecting positive consent is unrealistic. That just robs women of the agency to say no or yes. It’s clearly not just a problem of communication, but there is often a dangerous lack of understanding about what consent actually is. Spiking someone’s drink is seen as clearly wrong, but men using a women’s lower alcohol tolerance to increase their chances is built into business models.

2 Likes

That they have experience of looking out for predatory abusive behaviour? Maybe some of them have personal experience of what happens when they, a friend or a loved one don’t see it?

Also a large female/male ratio, I imagine.

6 Likes

No, no I don’t think it is.

2 Likes

Ummmm… wrong Thicke?

1 Like

I think you’ve definitely won, but I’ll post this anyway:

2 Likes

Wrong generation.

2 Likes

Holy maracas!

3 Likes

Yes, I’m old.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.