Bloomingdales suggests you intoxicate your lady friends for Christmas

What are the holidays without alcohol and a smidge of rape? At least according to Bloomingdales

5 Likes

Ok first off a manā€™s best friend is his dog. heā€™s actually telling the wife that he spiked the dogā€™s eggnog. This is also why the dog is now dead.
and the wife says ā€œhah hah hah John you idiot, good luck explaining that to lucy and little john-john!ā€

3 Likes

Weā€™re very sorry that anybody noticed!

1 Like

Wait, arenā€™t they publicly counselling the commission of a crime?

Isnā€™t there some sort of law thingie to invoke?

I would say that this is basically what a lot of what clubs and parties are for and that people should all just stop, but as someone who hates large groups of people, loud music, flashing lights, too many social interactions going on at the same time, strangers, too much alcohol etc., there really is nothing that would make me happy being in a place where people dressed like that.

On the plus side, lots more people now know that Bloomingdales is still a thing.

Frankly, I only get upset when my best friends DONā€™T put rum in my eggnog. Go ahead, do it when Iā€™m not looking. Iā€™m rolling the joint.

2 Likes

Don Draper strikes again.

1 Like

Itā€™s a little disturbing too that everyoneā€™s first thought is this will result in rape. Ethics of spiking eggnog aside, thereā€™s more than one reason to do it.

Hell, it could be his rival in the ad. And heā€™s trying to get her to act stupid at the company party so he getā€™s the promotion. Or sheā€™s his sister, and he hates her. Wants her to piss herself in public, then pass out so he can draw on her face.

My point is: there are a multitude of possible nefarious reasons. Stop obsessing over sex.

9 Likes

I canā€™t remember the source of this, it may have just been witty tweet, so thanks whoever said this originally, but: "If you think a girl has friend-zoned you, sheā€™s probably actually why-the-fuck-is-he-still-talking-to-me-zoned you.

Definitely, that was my first thought. ā€œI know you want it.ā€

Text of ad: ā€œSpike your best friendā€™s eggnog while theyā€™re not looking.ā€ [Emphasis theirs]

7 Likes

I heard a version of this last week (Christmas music in Starbucks already dear god why) with the genders of the singers swapped. It does not make it less creepy.

3 Likes

Agreed. Once youā€™ve heard it, you canā€™t unhear it.

Musically, however I do so love the song; the counterparts, the harmony, the syncopation. How does a thinking man separate a musical hook from the creepy undertones? Can I still like the song and abhor the message? Is it less creepy in a kidā€™s movie?

(ETA: of course notā€¦worse.)

1 Like

I just change the manā€™s lines to things like

:musical_note: Donā€™t look while Iā€™m mixing your drink :musical_note:

Openly villainous is less creepy than creepy.

2 Likes

Absofuckinglutely. I saw it immediately. Not only is that dude a dead ringer for Alan Thicke, the posing of these models very much calls out the video.

5 Likes

Can you imagine, though, if the song had originally been written with the genders swapped? It would have been ā€œomg crazy needy bitch, the manā€™s got things to do!ā€

2 Likes

MISANDRY!

Thanks, that was awesome. Iā€™ll really miss that show.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen gender swapped versions of it, but they have been played quite differently. Like, thereā€™s a trope of an inexperienced man who gets nervous around women, especially women who are attracted to him, right? Thatā€™s how it was done, so the man is presented as ā€œlow statusā€ man being overwhelmed by the sexual advances of an attractive woman - basically a wish fulfillment fantasy for nerds.

Your dismissive attitude isnā€™t constructive. Are people overreacting? Maybe, but the ad is still not well thought out, and in poor taste. If you donā€™t agree with peopleā€™s opinions thatā€™s quite alright, but that doesnā€™t change the fact that the ad is not a good one. And casually insinuating spiking someoneā€™s drink is not something that should be defended.

2 Likes