Bob Dylan releases his first original song in eight years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/bob-dylan-releases-his-first-o.html

3 Likes

Staying topical, that man!

9 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/bob-dylan-just-released-a-17-m.html

2 Likes

Too soon.

9 Likes

I couldn’t listen to 17 seconds of Dylan, much less 17 minutes. And I certainly don’t need even a casual flirt with JFK conspiracy theories right now, or ever again. Hard pass.

4 Likes

Christ. Another “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”. Add me to the Hard Pass list.

I almost said the same, but considered that he might make parallels to the current shitshow in his song. I haven’t had time to listen to it, yet.

1 Like

@markfrauenfelder wins by a nose based on time stamps.

4 Likes

It really, really doesn’t:

It’s a weird nostalgic word-salad, mostly.

5 Likes

what I’m wondering is … why was he thinking this hard about it? IMHO Bob Dylan is an interesting guy, he’s probably got something really interesting in the lyrics about the subject.

2 Likes

I don’t think Bob Dylan is quite what he used to be, as a song writer.

Enjoyed all 17 min. Like many people his age, Dylan’s more recent stuff has a lot of nostalgia.
In his list of old blues musicians/songs I was surprised he named one I didn’t recognize (I’ve listened to a lot of old blues). Turns out I did know the song from DJ Shadow vocal samples back in the day. Anyway the look brought me across this video which I got a kick out of. Maybe someone else will too

5 Likes

love Dylan, but this doesn’t grab me the same way Tangled Up In Blue does, alas.

1 Like

Also a big Dylan fan, and to my mind this represents a new stylistic invention for him. I’d compare it to when Sinatra, after a number of stylistic shifts, released the most daring of his handful of concept albums “Watertown”. What it wasn’t was “Come Fly With Me”, but what it was was something uniquely birthed of a certain amount of americana and a certain amount of unusual personal depth. That’s the closest analogy I can come up with.

It’s also possible (and I shudder to think it, but bear with me) that he knows something we don’t and he’s decided that if he doesn’t paint his masterpiece now, he might not have the chance again. Either way, “Murder Most Foul” is a worthy listen, even though it will never chart on the Top 40. His voice is clear and crisp, his delivery is masterfully timed, and this certainly represents a significant contribution to the annals of American musical history.

1 Like
3 Likes

Listen to Dylan if you must but this is 10 minutes shorter and it kicks ass.

2 Likes

That’s quite good, and the guitar work in the solo is exquisite. Thanks!

1 Like

I (in my opinion) find that EXTREMELY improbable. What possible conduit for special information would Bob Dylan have? Is he even considered relevant in 2020?

If you wanted to convey some kind of hidden info about the JFK assassination, would you rely on this fossil? The necessary audience would be people under 50, I assume. Very few who were affected by or interested in Dylan.

His audience is old people, who have been there, seen that. Why put out secret info to people who lived through the last 57 years?. They are already convinced either of the single lone nut (Oswald) theory, or are convinced of conspiracy. Nothing Dylan adds will change that.

This guy is diddling with himself. No information here.

I’m damned certain that the knowledge @Thermironic was speculating about was Dylan’s that he was going to die very soon. It doesn’t even take a close reading of his post to see it.

4 Likes

Well, I guess we will have to wait for @Thermironic to confirm this. I don’t see why that’s your takeaway.

So, he knows he’ll die soon, but we don’t know he will die soon?

He stated, “It’s also possible (and I shudder to think it, but bear with me) that he knows something we don’t”.

This is cryptic and granting special knowledge only available to Bob Dylan. It’s nonsense.