Bob Dylan sells entire catalog of songs

Why Universal? They are an awful company. They gave a Cease and Desist via the RIAA for my podcast Radio Clash - featured on Boing Boing in the past btw - for using a B-side. Then they got it pulled off Spotify and Apple in revenge as well. Nasty. That had never happened in 16 years with all the mashups, remixes, covers and originals I played, usually record companies like the free promo.

UMG had to be a dick about it - see also Universal vs Lenz. Even after I originally complied with the takedown.

Sorry for promoting your sh*t for free for 16 years, won’t happen again. UMG is banned from my podcast forevermore, so bye Bob and various Dylan covers. Nice knowing you.

4 Likes

Buy NEW to avail of an amazing special offer - FREE boots of Spanish leather!

1 Like

One more cup of Maxwell House coffee?

2 Likes

If you don’t know what to get me for Christmas - Subterranean Homesick Blues would do nicely.

2 Likes
4 Likes

La-Z-Boy recliners: You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere

6 Likes

ya I think originally “Goin up the Country” was wrongly attributed to one of the guys in Canned Heat, but I believe for the most part they acknowledged the origin of the covers they did…no way they didn’t hear the Henry Thomas recording though, IMO :slight_smile:

1 Like

surprises me that it was not more. As for “What he actually does with that money” ? Put me down for “Buys one of those hyperbaric chambers we were talking about last week” :slight_smile: Here’s an interesting take on Dylan and the New York folk scene from someone who knew him well : https://www.nodepression.com/ian-tyson-remembers-mark-knopfler-fondly-dylan-not-so-much/

It’s probably a lot easier to split $300 million than it is to figure out exactly who gets the rights to Blowin’ in the Wind.

1 Like

I jammed with Bobby and Joan back in the day… He did not seem like a nice fellow then, or maybe he just disliked my mountain dulcimer playing. Feh.

3 Likes

That’s not true. He’s been steadily releasing albums his entire career. He released a new one in June. He’s had 9 studio albums in the last 20 years–and that doesn’t count live recordings or other collaborations.

1 Like

:musical_note: I ain’t gonna work on Pepperidge Farm no more!

Oh wait, maybe I will…

6 Likes

Just wait when the knockoff Dylin catalog hits eBay! Yours for only US$150 million or best offer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.