Bob McAllister sings "Kids Are People Too"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/18/bob-mcallister-sings-kids-ar.html

1 Like

What the hell is this? Not implying it sucks, just I’ve never seen it before, and I’ve seen a few specific city-centric shows like Bozo the clown and Mario and the Magic Movie Machine. Is it Canadian?

http://wonderamashow.blogspot.com

2 Likes

Wokka do! Wokka do! WOKKA DOOOOO! I had a friend who got to compete in the snake can challenge… so jealous while watching on TV. I bet those bagel necklaces are collectors items now.

2 Likes

Aha!

It was a Sunday morning ritual for 70% of all TV viewers.

I was a preacher’s kid. We went to Sunday morning and Sunday evening services without fail. I think I’d only seen a handful of Disney programs on a Sunday night in my whole life.

3 Likes

Man, Bob McAllister – have not heard that name in 45 years

2 Likes

Those bastards! Those blackhearted bastards!

Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Commodifying my childhood! I never ever missed Wonderama!

2 Likes

Does anybody here have an aardvark?

Bob McAllister was the host back when I was watching Wonderama, and I loved the guy. (Actually, I might have been watching during Sonny Fox’s last season or two, but I don’t remember him at all.)

Edit - Be sure to check out the partial list of guests that appeared on the show:

1 Like

Wonderama is one of my favorite TV shows, ever. Ellen actually reminds me of it, a bit. When I was a kid, we lived near L.A. and NYC, and both of them had Metromedia stations (via which Wonderama aired). (I think I am misremembering that it came on in Nashville.) I thought it was on longer than 1977, but maybe I am remembering the reruns that aired for a while.

What I do remember is that a new show was spun off (on ABC, I believe) named Kids Are People Too after Wonderama’s song. I don’t remember seeing this episode at the time, but here’s Patti Smith on the show (with the late, disgraced Joe Brooks):

ETA: Livewire, a few years later, reminded me of Kids Are People Too.

I’ve gone on before about how great TV was in NYC. When we moved to the DFW area at the end of '79, we had The Children’s Hour which was like a really low-budget Wonderama (one kid guest, no audience; local guests e.g. from the museum) and showed Jot.

P.S. DFW had Peppermint Place, which aired very early on weekday mornings when I watched. It is mainly famous among people my age because the host, Jerry Haynes, was Gibby Haynes’ dad. I am still kicking myself for never visiting a bar in Dallas which, as far as I know, had no connection to Peppermint Place except that the patrons all spoke in the voice of the puppet character Muffin and addressed the barkeep as “Mr. Peppermint.”

3 Likes

It was carried on Metromedia stations. They were the sad remains of the DuPont network and were later bought out be Fox and formed the “Owned and operated” core (as opposed to affiliates) of the Fox network.
Of course the tune stuck in MY head now is Exercise, Exercise.

1 Like

Marlo… although he looked like a more fit Mario! I had forgotten about that (it came on in NYC). (Also just remembered Hot Fudge and Hot Hero Sandwich).

1 Like

Oh, yes. You’re right.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.