Grace Jones ominously asks: Do you know where your children are?

Same here, I was in bed no later than 9.

But I do remember (IIRC on this same channel) “have you hugged your child today?” and, more guilt-inducing to me, “have you done your homework today?” And my answer to the latter was, invariably, no I had not.

There was so much good (or bad, depending on your perspective) TV after school in the NYC market. Spider-Man cartoons, Battle of the Planets, The Marvel Super Heroes, Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse, Woody Woodpecker… I think these were all on Channel 5 or possibly 9.

Then on 11 Alive, there was Soupy Sales, often a kaiju film, The Most Important Person, and TV Pixx (TV Pow in other markets). (The Magic Garden and Time for Joya were on before I got home from school, but I watched 'em in the summer.)

And, holy crap, that was just the afternoon lineup. I’m surprised I ever got any homework done, at all. (It may be that I’m remembering every afternoon show I ever watched for the couple of years I lived in New York, but misremembering all of them being on, every day that I lived there. Also, I didn’t really get much homework until 4th grade, anyway.) I’d get up early in the morning, before the test pattern went off, and wait for old Fleischer Bros. Popeye cartoons.

Then weekends had The Patchwork Family and Wonderama; the latter may have been the greatest kids’ TV show ever made. These were in addition to whatever the national networks were showing, e.g. Krofft Superstars and Laff-A-Lympics.

5 Likes