Boba tea advertisement: edgy or bad translation?

I suppose to the same extent that Tom Smith and Tom Jones might be related, yes.

Because if they were trying to be edgy, it would appear to be a perfect translation, and if it’s a badly-done translation of something else, it seems unlikely that it would have been intended to be edgy- if it had been, they sure were lucky to get something completely unintended that was still edgy by sheer coincidence.

FINALLY. Take that, shrugging adorable little girl!

6 Likes

Well, it’s Asia so the family name comes first, right?

1 Like

hmm, hadn’t thought of that, so Star Wars is taking place in Asia. Except for the Skywalkers, Calrissians, and Organas, they’re American.

Han is obviously a family name that everyone keeps misusing, and Chewbacca keeps laughing about it, and giving Solo shit. Except for Greedo, he knows the difference between a personal name and a familial name.

4 Likes
1 Like

Boba Feta brand goats’ cheese?

1 Like

Its a real Nguyen Nguyen situation.

5 Likes

We have a Pho Que in the DC area.

3 Likes

Not intentionally edgy - just a word-by-word translation. Non-native speaker + dictionary; without enough cultural background . We get this all the time over here. This is a classic:

https://www.taschenkaufhaus.de/bodybag.html

It’s too spot on to be a mistake, I think. There is plenty of unintentional humor from screwy translations going around, but there are also plenty of Thais who are western-culture savvy enough to be in on the joke, and make this pun.

If you consider IV-Spec. Edition, Jabba calls him “Han, my boy…” That seems to be more informal, and something a mob boss would say who is about to advise an underling that he is in deep bantha poodoo.

Greedo calls him “Solo” with a sneer (well, as much as he CAN sneer…) again, pretty standard dialogue for your basic scoundrel showdown, and we all know better than to give Lucas credit for writing good dialogue.

retapes glasses

1 Like

Not really a tea fan, but I would have to try Boba Tea.

1 Like

Dude, it comes in all flavors. It’s not really tea so much as a fruit smoothie. You can get it in honeydew most places. Which happens to be my favorite melon.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.