Bobby Hill is of drinking age in 'King of the Hill' revival

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/08/bobby-hill-is-of-drinking-age-in-king-of-the-hill-revival.html

4 Likes

That boy might be right after all. I’m very excited to see what’s become of all the characters.

7 Likes

Jeremy Allen White Cooking GIF by The Bear

9 Likes

Sadly, Dale Gribble’s voice actor passed away recently, though he did record some stuff for the new version. I wonder how they’ll deal with it in the show.

9 Likes

DALL-E 3 created this nightmare based on “King of the Hill Bobby Hill age 21 standing with Hank, Bill, Dale, and Boomhauer in the alley by the fence drinking Alamo beer”. Why did it give them beards? :thinking::

2 Likes

They also lost Brittany Murphy and Tom Petty. :frowning:

I kinda hope they just replace Dale’s voice actor. He’s just too great a character.

8 Likes

Who knows, but the show has killed off a couple of characters before, including Buckley and Cotton. My guess is that they’ll find a respectful way to deal with this rather than re-cast the character, out of respect for Johnny Hardwick. But maybe they could just say that Dale’s smoking led to one of those surgeries that requires use of an Electrolarynx to speak, then anyone could do the voice.

9 Likes

A couple of weeks ago we were talking about our utility bills and I was able to say “propane and propane accessories” into the conversation to describe my gas. I don’t think anyone got the reference.

15 Likes

Come to think of it, he was also a writer for the show.

3 Likes

They were probably going to need to make some changes to his character in any case since anti-government conspiracy theorists who wear red baseball caps don’t seem as funny in the post-Trump era as they did during the show’s first run.

17 Likes

True. I don’t see him suddenly having a huge change of heart in that area. I see them just keeping it “light”, as they say. A lot of Dale’s rants were about aliens and secret government programs. Real Art Bell type stuff. I could see him ignoring the “obvious” conspiracies that currently plague the world, and pivot to more ridiculous and less “harmful” ones.

OR - flip the script that he doesn’t believe in most conspiracies anymore because they are all government created conspiracies to confuse and control the public.

“Q-Anon?” takes a drag, “I think you mean Fed-anon, Hank. Anyone who believes that stuff needs to log off and touch grass.”

15 Likes

"But don’t we all go through that with our kids and our friends’ kids? It is shocking when I see my friends’ kids, and they’re all grown up. And I’m like, ‘Wait a second, what just happened?’

Yeah, my kid just turned 18! Yeesh!

5 Likes

Or they could do a full 180; instead of being an insufferable chain-smoking right-wing conspiracy theorist Dale could have gone through a mid-life reawakening and turned into an insufferable kombucha-sipping new-age spiritualist. “Have y’all had your Chakras aligned lately? I know a guy over in Durndell who’ll do a balance job for 20 bucks and throw in a free carob smoothie.”

13 Likes

… Mike Judge has done that kind of thing before and people didn’t seem to think it was very funny :confused:

3 Likes

On the other hand, I could totally see him thinking MAGAts were just a bunch of damn amateurs and dabblers with some nice long rants about how Q was (is?) just a poseur shit-stirrer. Mike Judge is a very smart dude and he could definitely make this work brilliantly.

Exactly!

Also: Pam Adlon is one of the greatest of all time. I haven’t seen a single thing she’s been in where she didn’t nearly steal every scene.

5 Likes

I never saw an episode, but it doesn’t sound like a solid premise. What makes KOTH such a great show, is that it doesn’t treat the characters like jokes, really, but takes them seriously as people from a pretty empathetic POV. That sounds like the entire premise of the show is mocking liberals, via a distorted lens of what a “liberal” is… :woman_shrugging: Sort of like the conservative fun-house mirror version of liberals, rather than people who actually exist in the world.

6 Likes

My son goes to college in the fall. We just got back from orientation, where we stayed in some dorms and toured the campus and stuff. It’s where I went to college, almost 30 years ago. I expected nostalgia to be a kick in the pants but the school and surrounding area has changed so much I barely recognized it.

7 Likes

happy king of the hill GIF

5 Likes

aMKPwzW_700b

9 Likes

I read that in Dale’s voice and actually think that character shift could work. :^)

7 Likes