The King of the Hill cast is about to start table reads for the upcoming Hulu reboot

Originally published at: The King of the Hill cast is about to start table reads for the upcoming Hulu reboot | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Good news, tellyawhat. It’s a smart move to let the characters age, since everyone is anticipating this as a true reunion.

7 Likes

The time jump also gives them a number of possible ways to retool or update Dale’s character since red-baseball-cap-wearing anti-government conspiracy theorists don’t seem nearly as funny or harmless today as they did during the show’s original run.

11 Likes

that’s SWEET LADY propane to you!

2 Likes

King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows. I still watch it all the time. However, even though it had 13 seasons, I feel that the show has been severely unappreciated.

3 Likes

Don’t forget “reckless gun nut” in that description!

2 Likes

One funny approach would be if they took Dale’s character in the exact opposite direction for the revival. Like, maybe at some point in the last X years he underwent a spiritual journey so now instead of being a right-wing nut whose eccentricities are barely tolerated by his friends he’s now some hippie moonbat whose eccentricities are barely tolerated by his friends.

6 Likes

That could work. As long as it doesn’t sink to the…humor, maybe?…that Judge was trying with The Goode Family.

2 Likes

I thought he was killed in an industrial accident on that government job? /s

Untitled

2 Likes

Dale always came off as an anti-government nut - but not necessarily a right wing one. I don’t recall him ever mentioned Democrats or Republicans. I think he thought of both sides as “wings on the same bird”. I remember him finding kinship with John Redcorn because they both got screwed by the government.

Not sure if I’d consider him an anarchist in the old show, but I could see him embracing something like that in the new one. Hopefully they don’t go full Q-Anon with him or what ever. As you said, “don’t seem nearly as funny or harmless today”.

2 Likes

His personality quirks didn’t necessarily align with what the Republican party was in the 1990s but they were very much in line with the American right-wingers of 2023. He just got there first.

5 Likes

I am curious if they’ll be bringing Luanne back, since her voice actress, unfortunately, won’t be available…

1 Like

Considering Luanne’s husband is also dead, I hope not. I know they voice actors can do a pretty good job, but I feel like having someone who’s not quite Brittney Murphy and not quite Tom Petty would just make me miss them both more than I already do.

3 Likes

Hank trying to relate to Luanne and Lucky’s zoomer child, old millennial Bobby & the Gribbles dealing with 23 And Me being a thing. There’s all sorts of potential for interesting stories with the time skip.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.