Hank Hill will not be kicking anyone's ass today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/21/hank-hill-will-not-be-kicking.html

9 Likes

Office Space was great but I’ve never been able to sit through an entire episode of this.

1 Like

Don’t miss out! Hank Hill is a riot, though bobby and peggy steal the show sometimes. The characters are funnier if you know versions of them in real life.

20 Likes

Every time I try to speak Spanish all I hear in my head is “Me llamo Peggy Hill”.

7 Likes

This was a great show and Mike Judge is a great creator.

11 Likes

Cartoonishly exaggerated as they were, the characters were definitely more nuanced and sympathetic than the typical TV depictions of American “redneck culture.” You always had the sense that even if Hank had to struggle to accept ideas that conflicted with his traditional worldview he was still willing to make the effort to do so, and in the end you could always count on him to be a loving father and a generous neighbor who did the right thing.

18 Likes

Add some cigarettes and greyer hair, maybe a bit more patience, and Hank Hill was our Scoutmaster, way back when.

It’s funnier (I think) if one grew up in Texas. I’d always figured “Arlen” is what “Garland” sounds like with the first and last letters removed (though Austin would claim it was based on Austin. I don’t know, maybe South Austin, 25-30 years ago). I grew up in Arlington, which had a Hypermart. Garland (where Mike Judge used to live) had the first Hypermart, and I have to assume it’s the basis of the Mega-Lo-Mart.

5 Likes

I loved the episode where she got arrested in Mexico because of a misunderstanding based on her bad Spanish and the Judge ended up releasing her after hearing her testify in her defense. (“I have too many good anuses ahead of me to spend my life in a cigar factory…”)

12 Likes

I’d watch Idiocracy tonight, but it’s too depressingly close to reality.

Except president Camacho is a bastion of rationality and calm consideration.

7 Likes

Agree completely. My wife and I have been rewatching on Hulu, I think we’re in season 8 and even that deep in there are still many great episodes. Something I love about it that I don’t think I recognized the first time through is just how thoroughly average/mediocre everyone is. It’s a great message, trying to be a good human being is more important than being the best (or even competent) at something. And that even mediocre people deserve dignity and respect. They seem like real humans who have flaws but get by with heart. Despite being a cartoon it’s more human than shows with actual humans.

10 Likes

I had no idea this show was Mike Judge. I’ve also never been able to sit through an entire episode of this. I’m having trouble getting my head around the idea that it was made by the same guy who made Beavis and Butthead, which was brilliant.

1 Like

Yeah it’s kind of the anti-“Family Guy” animated sitcom. The situations are still ridiculous but (relatively) believable, the characters are flawed and quirky but fundamentally human, the struggles they face aren’t world-changing but they are relatable.

This recurring character (who predates Hank Hill) was a bit of a giveaway:

No disrespect to Beavis and Butthead but their schtick got old a lot quicker than King of the Hill did. They were born for a short-episode format.

11 Likes

the difference between años and anos is noticeable at first b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶ taste.

edit: i am a hack more than an improvisationalist.

2 Likes

“My potato has 47 anuses” sounds very similar to “my dad is 47 years old” to a native english speaker who’s had no formal education in spanish.

I remember in high school spanish we had one kid from somewhere in the south who literally didn’t get that “yo” means “I” and would always say it as an interjection. “YO! soy muy cansado”

5 Likes

potato

dad

Pope

You make the call!

4 Likes

king-hill-bobby-purse-dont-know-you

20 Likes

Bobby Hill was basically a feminist hero in a part of the country where such people are not always celebrated.

17 Likes

Here is who does his voice…

8 Likes

Maybe America became more divided because KotH wrapped up. Come back; we need wisdom.

yep

mmmhmm

4 Likes