Fantastic animated pitch for King of the Hill (1996)

Originally published at: Fantastic animated pitch for King of the Hill (1996) | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Not sure if I ever really understood that show. Watched it anyway, maybe cuz of Luann and “the way she dresses”. /s

I did think it was interesting how Hank and his conservative values were tested with the changing demographics, like his Vietnamese immigrant next door neighbor, and how Bobby was friends with that neighbor’s boy.

4 Likes

9 Likes

(Also Bobby was friend with the neighbor’s daughter)

4 Likes

The only scene I remember and still talk about.

1 Like

For BBS convenience

6 Likes

Aack! Yes, the neighbor was Laotian, my bad. Confirmed with the all-knowing wikipedia article.

2 Likes

Man. That show was an adventure.

Hank is a generally a pretty confident and bluff guy, but there were these times when, confronting his father, you see that he’d been through some shit.

Cripes, Cotton Hill was a fascinatingly repugnant character. His death-bed scene with Peggy, oh man.

7 Likes

The show definitely grew on me.

A friend of mine insists the show is lame because “it didn’t need to be animated”-- I disagree, live actors would have made it just like any other sitcom, there’s something about the deadpan humor that the cartoon amplifies (and there were some gags that live actors probably couldn’t pull off.)

The “quitting smoking” and “Hank’s constipation” episodes were among my favorites.

3 Likes

Hank Hill was essentially a retooled version of “Tom Anderson” from the Beavis & Butthead shorts (just listen to Anderson talking about Butane in the clip below). Given those origins it was impressive how well Mike Judge was able to flesh out the character with depth and relatability.

9 Likes

When the neighbors moved in there was a whole conversation about it:

Hank Hill:
So are you Chinese or Japanese?

Kahn Souphanousinphone:
I live in California last twenty year, but, ah… first come from Laos.

Hank Hill:
Huh?

Kahn Souphanousinphone:
Laos. We Laotian.

Bill Dauterive:
The ocean? What ocean?

Kahn Souphanousinphone:
We are Laotian–from Laos, stupid! It’s a landlocked country in southeast Asia. It’s between Vietnam and Thailand, OK? Population 4.7 million.

[uncomfortable pause…]

Hank Hill:
So… are you Chinese or Japanese?

7 Likes

Reminds me a little of the Muppet Show pitch reel to the network executives, only far more restrained.

2 Likes

I found it to be a fun show in the long run. I think in general Mike Judge is pretty funny.

3 Likes

That scene was one of the better gags in my opinion and it’s stuck with me for whatever reason.

6 Likes

LOVED: the Lutheran pastor, lutefisk, and the “smelly stranger”. Bobby’s proclivity for deli meats and his subsequent bout of gout. Speaking of Japan, Cotton’s love child with a lady in Tokyo and the Hills’ trip to go meet them. The burning down of the volunteer firehouse, told to the fire chief Rashomon-style, was classic! Man, i loved that show.

3 Likes

I was unable to watch a half hour of this or of Beavis & Butthead. Office Space was great though.

1 Like

There’s one line that stuck with me after all this time. Probably because I knew people like Dale.

4 Likes

I loved how, for all his tough talk, his heroic gun-related fantasies never worked out for him in real life.

5 Likes

King of the Hill is one of the shows that makes me wish I had invested more time in watching TV. Thanks for all the clips everyone!

I still use the line from this scene:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.