Boing Boing RSS problem

I’ve been following BB for years using RSS then this morning started getting a cloudflare error that wants some type of response to a challenge. Since this is an RSS feed, why is there a robot challenge? Is there anything I can do to get my feed back up?

2 Likes

Mine still works?

2 Likes

I use Feedly, no problems.

1 Like

Cloudlfare has gotten super aggressive lately with its interstital bot protection click-through, to the point where it’s broken at least one electronic resource at my employer’s library, since it doesn’t work through the proxy. I imagine that’s what’s happening here. I think that the vendor can disable this through their Cloudflare contact (we were able to get it fixed at work), so if that’s the case maybe @jlw can assist?

For what it’s worth, the most recent post I see on RSS right now via Feedly is from last night at 10:30pm Eastern. Navigating directly to the feed in my browser doesn’t trigger the interstitial, and shows the same post at the top of the feed.

1 Like

I’m hitting the same problem as @vintonole - I think the fix might be for the admins to add an exception for the /feed endpoint - ie, reduce the “bot protection” level down (as it’s only going to be bots/scripts accessing /feed !)

4 Likes

So I’m using a web-based RSS reader that I started during the pandemic. I don’t have the cover of a big site like feedly. It has been very much a learning experience. The thigns I’ve seen… bugs, weird rss. But it gives me full control over my reading history. And I’ve incorporated emails, newsletters, youtube, podcasts. I love it.

I’ve seen this sort of cloudflare issue before but usually I just dump that site and find something else. Or it resolves after some time. I’ve read BB for over a decade so would like a fix.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do but appeal to the site admins as @solar and @wazroth mentioned. I emailed the help@bb email, but nothing yet. So I wait.

1 Like

There is an override for feeds, but Cloudflare has added more layers to their bot protection (and we’re thankful they have, fully one third of the traffic we receive now is badly behaving bots and spiders and other malicious traffic!)

I’ll check to see if I can widen the exceptions for the /feed and /atom endpoints in case they’re no longer sufficient.

3 Likes

I made some tweaks, let me know if they work - make sure your feed reader is using the modern URI (https://boingboing.net/feed)

4 Likes

This has fixed the issue for me - thanks @orenwolf :smiley:

Yes, same here as well. Thank you so much orenwolf !!!

one story had the ‘read more’ link go to the front page, but that just looks like a one-off hiccup.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.