Boing Boing: zine, blog, and back again

Zing!!

God forbid that complaints be collected in a single, accessible, public location so that they may be referred to later!

Pretending they don’t exist would be easy: if we wanted to do that, we’d just delete them.

And, see, you weren’t joking. :wink:

3 Likes

No, sorry. Don’t like it at all. Can’t find the comics, looks like every other damn website. Too busy, too messed up. DIDN’T NEED REDESIGNING. Silly people…

1 Like

Comics will be back soon (tomorrow)

I’ll agree that a number of article headlines give the appearance of click-baiting, regardless of whether that was the intention or not. Just because you don’t see it Rob, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Or at least, that it’s perceived to be there by others. Instead of ignoring others who are saying that it is there perhaps you should give some thought as to why other people are saying that it is.

However, the real problem is the lack of any meaningful amount of information in the text body with which to decide if the article merits clicking on.

For example (and no, I won’t pick Maggie’s water article!) how about the “Going Broke in LA” piece. Apart from the headline, it features a picture of birds roosting on power lines and the text “Anonymous in LA comes to terms with the disappearance of his profession.”

So I know it is about employment problems in LA but little else. What is Anonymous’ profession? Is it relevant to me? Am I interested in it? Does the picture have any significance to the story? Why is Anonymous going broke? Can’t he get another job? Retrain?

Whilst I’ve been a bit mean with the above line of reasoning, the point remains that I don’t have enough information to decide if I might be interested in the article. A headline, a picture and a single line of text is just not enough.

I have more than enough to do in my day without second guessing an article’s merits based on insufficient information. As a result, I am more likely NOT to click on an article if I can’t understand what it is about or if it is relevant/interesting to me.

I’d be interested to see your site metrics after the new front page has been around for a week or so. I have a suspicion that a lot of people will simply use the chronological link, even though the articles there have no more information about them than on the front page. I also suspect a lot less article click-through as a result of this change.

6 Likes

Or from the point of view of someone to who you spoiled GoT, “let’s put all of the complaints over there so that we don’t need to address them. oh and now we have the added bonus that no one looking at the main thread sees any complaints! YAY! GO US! NO COMPLAINTS!”

Read through those threads (which contain lots of moderator input, so are hardly being ignored). I understand and endorse their reasoning. And by that reasoning, your post complaining about them doing that and all subsequent posts, including mine on the meta-topic of how BB handles criticism of their design were moved to a separate thread, that would seem totally appropriate to me.

At any rate, this all seriously muddies the issue of whether Rob was dismissing a flippant joke or not. Since I have the addition context of understanding that your first post was not wild conspiracy theorizing but rather a joke - a joke that you were dead serious about, let me rephrase my response from:

To:

Oh for goodness sake. Your “criticism” was a prediction that they would sequester criticism to make themselves feel better. You may disagree with how they’ve decided to moderate discussions in the past, but that isn’t even related to the new layout. I don’t like the new layout, but I didn’t like your post either.

1 Like

Hey, while you’ve still got the designers in, how about a ‘dislike button’ in the comments?
The times I’ve wanted to reach for one of those.

1 Like

and dates on posts on the main page?
and comment counts on posts on the main page?
and more description in posts on the main page?

I think we’re describing close to the same thing, here. I’m just saying the article doesn’t have to be bad for the headline to be clickbait. Without any real information about what the article discusses, there’s a lot of room to be mislead, and you can’t tell whether you would be interested until you’ve actually clicked through. It could be an award-winning article with the best research possible, but if the subject is something I’m not interested in and I only clicked because the headline didn’t have enough information then I’m going to be feeling that hook.

1 Like

No. Just no. I’m o.k. rewriting all my bookmarks to page/1 but when I return to a story from the forums… or want to go back to the front page from a story I’ll end up returning to the broken front page.

A lot of other people have said what’s wrong so I won’t repeat it.

1 Like

We just need a boingboingspoilers twitter feed to go with the huffpospoilers one.

Ahah, see, this is the perfect illustration of the issue. A recap thread is for discussion of an episode of a TV show. But you would like the thread to accomodate discussion of something else: criticism of posting spoilers.

Moreover, you don’t just want the thread to be about that, too–an explicit component of your request is that other people see the complaints in a context where their topicality is suspect, whether they care about that tangential issue or not, but where a larger public audience is guaranteed.

But anyone who wants to talk about or complain about spoilers can just read the complaints thread, which is right there, active and pulsing away.

When you say you want spoiler complaints put somewhere we need to address them, what you mean is you want to put them somewhere other readers are forced to see them.

4 Likes

My solution there is to go through and like everything else in the thread. It’s a lot more work but some comments are so wrong they’re worth it.

4 Likes

I tried to like your post just now and I shit you not this came up just as I tried to do so:

Control-freakery strikes again…

3 Likes

Honestly, I’ve been considering quitting this site for a while now. I’ve been noticing a a lot of TV recaps (I don’t watch TV much, but what I do watch gets spoilt by the recaps) and random images that are accompanied with a single sentence (this isn’t memebase, come on).

I kept with the general decline in quality because I felt loyal to this site; I’ve always seen it as a site with diverse news that are almost always relevant and well written, even if that wasn’t the full intention of it. I thought the site was just going through a bad phase, but now thanks to the new, potentially click-baity layout, this seems much more permanent.

Adios.

3 Likes

I just feel that pushing the spoiler comments to a different thread, when there was a great many people saying they were upset showed a monumental “sweeping things under the carpet” attitude.

Rob, I direct your attention to this comment I made a couple of minutes ago:

These points seem to be what most people are upset about, so I’ll ask directly.
Is there any comment on these points? If yes, say so, we aren’t mind readers. If not, say so so that we can all put the issue to bed.

Dates: probably, like this:

It’s important that the natural language style be there, because we don’t want to just have timestamps, which is why it’s not day 1 stuff but rather a coming attraction.

Comment counts; perhaps, like so: Discuss (35).

Descriptions will generally be longer on features than they have been today, but still no more than a couple of sentences.

1 Like

Why are you fixing what isn’t broken?

4 Likes

tl;dr version of this comments thread may be found by clicking here.