Boing Boing's Happy Mutant Mobile: Submit your ideas!

Boing Boing is about showing off cool things, so the car will need tools to show off cool things.

1. Mount a digital projector to the ceiling of the back of the car, or maybe the back door when it opens up. Great for showing off movies and video interviews you do.
  2. FM Transmitter. Helps deliver the sound from the movies, and you can broadcast your own Happy Mutant radio station (Mind the FCC!)
  3. Mobile Boing Boing cloud. A web server (maybe a Pi?) attached to a wifi hotspot will let people log in and browse Boing Boing, and videos and interviews you do in the van. Maybe serving up a couple of hard drives worth of Happy Mutant approved Creative Commons music/movies. Could be attached/not attached to the greater Internet.
  4. As part of the whole server thing, if you do connect it to the Internet, Happy Mutant Mobile Cam! Put cameras all through the car (dash, interview area, back) and have them live update when you are out and about. With that plus a GPS, you could put a really nice live ticker on Boing Boing to show off when the crew is live on the scene. If you combine that with wastrelā€™s ticker, itā€™s be a cool way for people to experience and reach out to people when you are at makerā€™s faires and the like.

A wind whirlygig/wind spinner toy on the roof of the car that powers a jack hammer jane. Maybe position it so it looks like she is powering the rear wheels.

Oh, and for something cosmetic, three words: nixie tube odometer.

2 Likes

Did I mention the espresso machine?

Oh, can you wrap it in flexible OLEDs? Endless possibilities and also very meta. You know, the medium becomes the message, etc.
Also: ā€œinvisible carā€ pranks.

Electrochromatic glass for the side and back windows-- turn a knob to darken or make more transparent.

For the cabinet of curiosities, include a nice size cube of iridium!

A bumper-sticker size e-ink / Kindle style display on the rear of the car (if not on the bumper itself) thatā€™s addressable to display any short message legibly to the car behind.

Piggy backed on a few ideas above and added some of my own.

Edit: And letā€™s stencil the logo on the hood with hydrophobic paint!

4 Likes

AMAZING!!! This is WONDERFUL!!

I just wanted to say that this is one of the few moments that Iā€™ve seen these modern applications of mid-century illustration techniques used to make something visually compelling and original in my recent memory. It usually just feels uninspired and technologically sanitized to me, but thisā€¦ this is truly beautiful! Itā€™s got a real nice push and pull between the simplicity of the shapes, and the overall busyness of the composition. Well done! I love it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Small Mac Computer loaded with Logic. Include audio interface connected to the mac with a small amp, guitar and sampler pad as well as a drum machine and keyboard. Make it a small music studio in the back. also have a camera mounted somewhere in which anyone can record the process of making music.

Make it a 24/7 rolling free wifi hotspot.

1 Like